Toshiba Satellite 4060 won't boot-up...

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 4:19:34 PM

Hello, I have an old laptop that was working fine. It had bad hinges. I
opened and replaced the hinges.

Now this laptop does not boot. When press the power switch, it just makes a
click sound and then the green light that goes to amber in just a second.
Nothing on the screen. I think this amber light is when it goes into
hiberbnated mode.

I opened the laptop again and everything is connected. Click sound seem to
come from Floppy drive side.

Any ideas?

Thank you very much,
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 11:04:16 PM

In article <LJ6dncpM1PxTJ1TcRVn-2A@comcast.com>,
john smith <mta_img@yahoo.com> wrote:
>Hello, I have an old laptop that was working fine. It had bad hinges. I
>opened and replaced the hinges.
>
>Now this laptop does not boot. When press the power switch, it just makes a
>click sound and then the green light that goes to amber in just a second.
>Nothing on the screen. I think this amber light is when it goes into
>hiberbnated mode.
>
>I opened the laptop again and everything is connected. Click sound seem to
>come from Floppy drive side.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thank you very much,

IIRC there is a microswitch on the body of the laptop, near the hinge,
which is activated when the cover is lowered. Perhaps when you reassembled
the top you did not free this switch, and the laptop "thinks" the cover is
always closed ... under which circumstances it only hibernates.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 22, 2004 11:04:17 PM

Thanks Mike.

Do you remember if it is on the screen/lid or on the main body?

I looked and could not find it. Maybe, I should take hinges off again and
look for it.

Do you remember, where exactly it is?

Thank you very much. You definitely gave me something to work on.

"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

> In article <LJ6dncpM1PxTJ1TcRVn-2A@comcast.com>,
> john smith <mta_img@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >Hello, I have an old laptop that was working fine. It had bad hinges. I
> >opened and replaced the hinges.
> >
> >Now this laptop does not boot. When press the power switch, it just
makes a
> >click sound and then the green light that goes to amber in just a second.
> >Nothing on the screen. I think this amber light is when it goes into
> >hiberbnated mode.
> >
> >I opened the laptop again and everything is connected. Click sound seem
> >come from Floppy drive side.
> >
> >Any ideas?
> >
> >Thank you very much,
>
> IIRC there is a microswitch on the body of the laptop, near the hinge,
> which is activated when the cover is lowered. Perhaps when you reassembled
> the top you did not free this switch, and the laptop "thinks" the cover is
> always closed ... under which circumstances it only hibernates.

a b D Laptop
December 23, 2004 4:50:17 AM

In article <nOmdnS1QlYJfdVTcRVn-gw@comcast.com>,
john smith <mta_img@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
>>
>> In article <LJ6dncpM1PxTJ1TcRVn-2A@comcast.com>,
>> john smith <mta_img@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> >Hello, I have an old laptop that was working fine. It had bad hinges. I
>> >opened and replaced the hinges.
>> >
>> >Now this laptop does not boot. When press the power switch, it just
>makes a
>> >click sound and then the green light that goes to amber in just a second.
>> >Nothing on the screen. I think this amber light is when it goes into
>> >hiberbnated mode.
>> >
>> >I opened the laptop again and everything is connected. Click sound seem
>> >come from Floppy drive side.
>> >
>> >Any ideas?
>> >
>> >Thank you very much,
>>
>> IIRC there is a microswitch on the body of the laptop, near the hinge,
>> which is activated when the cover is lowered. Perhaps when you reassembled
>> the top you did not free this switch, and the laptop "thinks" the cover is
>> always closed ... under which circumstances it only hibernates.
>>
>Thanks Mike.
>
>Do you remember if it is on the screen/lid or on the main body?
>
>I looked and could not find it. Maybe, I should take hinges off again and
>look for it.

It is always on the main body. Usually a small rod or tab on the top
(keyboard) surface of the main body near the back, very close to the rear
edge. It pops up when the cover is open, and is pushed down when the cover
is closed. That is how the computer knows when to hibernate.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 23, 2004 6:42:50 PM

Thanks Mike.

I took it apart and removed the cover. I thought it might go a little
further in the boot, ie. it could not find the screen, keyboard etc.

I just have the base, nothing connected, i.e. no screen, no keyboard. I
powered this up, same thing... just a short click right away and nothing
else.

This laptop was working before I opened to install hinges.

I noticed that a small plastic thing came out. I don't have clue where it
come from.

I would not be too upset if I have not spend $40 for the hinges:(
Thanks for you help.

> In article <nOmdnS1QlYJfdVTcRVn-gw@comcast.com>,
> john smith <mta_img@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

> >makes a

> >> IIRC there is a microswitch on the body of the laptop, near the hinge,
> >> which is activated when the cover is lowered. Perhaps when you
reassembled
> >> the top you did not free this switch, and the laptop "thinks" the cover
is
> >> always closed ... under which circumstances it only hibernates.
> >>
> >Thanks Mike.
> >
> >Do you remember if it is on the screen/lid or on the main body?
> >
> >I looked and could not find it. Maybe, I should take hinges off again
and
> >look for it.
>
> It is always on the main body. Usually a small rod or tab on the top
> (keyboard) surface of the main body near the back, very close to the rear
> edge. It pops up when the cover is open, and is pushed down when the cover
> is closed. That is how the computer knows when to hibernate.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 24, 2004 6:56:54 PM

Hello...

There is no switch for hubernation.

Any other ideas?

Thank you,
"john smith" <mta_img@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Mike.
>
> I took it apart and removed the cover. I thought it might go a little
> further in the boot, ie. it could not find the screen, keyboard etc.
>
> I just have the base, nothing connected, i.e. no screen, no keyboard. I
> powered this up, same thing... just a short click right away and nothing
> else.
>
> This laptop was working before I opened to install hinges.
>
> I noticed that a small plastic thing came out. I don't have clue where it
> come from.
>
> I would not be too upset if I have not spend $40 for the hinges:(
> Thanks for you help.
> "Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message
> >
> > In article <nOmdnS1QlYJfdVTcRVn-gw@comcast.com>,
> > john smith <mta_img@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >"Mike S." <retsuhcs@xinap.moc> wrote in message

> > >makes a
> second.

> seem

> reassembled
> is
> > >>
> > >Thanks Mike.
> > >
> > >Do you remember if it is on the screen/lid or on the main body?
> > >
> > >I looked and could not find it. Maybe, I should take hinges off again
> and
> > >look for it.
> >
> > It is always on the main body. Usually a small rod or tab on the top
> > (keyboard) surface of the main body near the back, very close to the
rear
> > edge. It pops up when the cover is open, and is pushed down when the
cover
> > is closed. That is how the computer knows when to hibernate.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 28, 2004 5:00:54 AM

I'd be willing to bet that the "little plastic thing" that came out is
the small pushrod switch that the laptop uses to feel if the cover is
open/closed. Look for an appropriate hole for the little plastic thing
to rest into, likely providing springy resistance when you place it in,
and reassemble the laptop so that the switch is depressed when the
cover is closed, and released when it is open.

even if the little plastic thing is not in fact the cover indicator as
i think it is, i am almost entirely certain that your problem does in
fact stem from this type of thing - that the laptop cannot discern if
the cover is open or closed (or rather, it just continues to think that
it's closed).

!