Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Intel core i5 760 or Intel core i5 2500(sandy bridge)

Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 2, 2010 4:48:41 AM

Which one should i buy? They are both the same price right? How about performance?
a c 81 à CPUs
December 2, 2010 5:43:47 AM

^exactly.. And till we get some real performance figures, it cannot be said for sure as to how much of a performance improvement it brings to the table.. So if you can, just wait for the real thing to launch..
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 5:48:52 AM

Is the price in Wikipedia accurate?
m
0
l
Related resources
December 2, 2010 6:12:13 AM

No since it's not out yet, just get the i5-760.
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 6:39:13 AM

Unless u wanna wait until january 9th, launch dait if i dnt remember bad
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 10:38:01 AM

I'll wait...
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 12:00:33 PM

areszues92 said:
I'll wait...


i think we are gonna do the same too :bounce: 
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 2:25:01 PM

Hardly any reason not to wait 1 month on i5 2500 unless you absolutely positively need a PC right now
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 2:39:29 PM

hogan773 said:
Hardly any reason not to wait 1 month on i5 2500 unless you absolutely positively need a PC right now


Well there's no point in asking the question then, if you're comparing two CPU's one of which is the future replacement of the other one then of course it's going to be better...
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 2:47:41 PM

Phoenixlight said:
Well there's no point in asking the question then, if you're comparing two CPU's one of which is the future replacement of the other one then of course it's going to be better...


Ummm ok sure - I wasn't the one who asked the question :o 

And I disagree about not asking the question. I think a lot of people are wondering whether they are "missing" the "great prices" they see on i5 760s etc, which are all excellent CPUs and are currently the go-to CPUs of choice on these boards. So people sort of worry that if they wait for SandyBridge, they'll forego this great deal on a perfectly acceptable chip, and then they worry that once SB comes out, it will be more expensive for marginal gains, etc, then they'll wish they jumped on the proven technology of the 760.

I think that line of reasoning is completely misguided by the way, as I don't see a reason NOT to wait, and I believe one can still buy 760s even in January and maybe there will even be a further price drop. But I'm just guessing what is going on in the brains of all the posters who keep putting up these "Should I buy now or wait????" threads.....
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 3:23:55 PM

Here is what is "supposed" to be the lineup with prices. Take it with a grain of salt the size of the Bonneville Salt Flats. :) 


m
0
l
December 2, 2010 4:07:05 PM

halfcalf said:
Here is what is "supposed" to be the lineup with prices. Take it with a grain of salt the size of the Bonneville Salt Flats. :) 

http://extensiv.info/1blogimg/expreview102610.jpg



I hope Newegg doesn't try to rape the enthusiast by putting a $75 premium on just the K models.....
m
0
l
December 2, 2010 4:11:03 PM

You know what they say about early adopters. They're not so much guinea pigs as masochists. However, I have zero choice but to place the order within hours of the CPUs showing up, so I guess I must be the latter! :) 
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 5:15:23 AM

Btw what's the difference between the K and the no K?
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 5:49:51 AM

K models have an unlocked multiplier and are ideal for overclocking.
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 7:44:24 AM

So i just change the multiplier and then it's overclocked? No need to change anything else?
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 8:31:16 AM

Of course not, a stable overclocking requires many parameters to be changed and set correctly. An unlocked multiplier just gives you more flexibility in order to reach higher frequency.
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 10:46:55 AM

I'll stick with the no K one then.
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 10:49:07 AM

You won't be able to overclock the non-K one though.
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 12:32:19 PM

Phoenixlight said:
You won't be able to overclock the non-K one though.


What!!
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 12:36:43 PM

socratesx said:
Of course not, a stable overclocking requires many parameters to be changed and set correctly. An unlocked multiplier just gives you more flexibility in order to reach higher frequency.


What other parameters will be allowed to be changed and set correctly? Voltage?
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 1:22:40 PM

areszues92 said:
What!!


Intel's locking the normal CPU's so that overclockers can pay extra and buy the K versions.
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 1:53:10 PM

Oh that's great......
m
0
l
December 3, 2010 4:45:00 PM

areszues92 said:
Oh that's great......


I think it's a very wise strategy. The vast majority of computer users don't even know what OC is. And the "apparent" price diff between the base and K CPUs seems to be very contained.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2010 2:40:30 PM

halfcalf said:
You know what they say about early adopters. They're not so much guinea pigs as masochists. However, I have zero choice but to place the order within hours of the CPUs showing up, so I guess I must be the latter! :) 


You should do the online equivalent of camping out in front of the store all night - sit all night at your PC with your order info scripted in, and your finger poised over the Enter button :p ..
m
0
l
December 5, 2010 5:26:41 PM

That's exactly what I'm gonna do. On whatever date they say they're gonna stock it, I'm gonna set newegg on 5 second refresh with a macro. As soon as the i7 2600 shows up... BANG! :) 
m
0
l
December 6, 2010 12:56:36 PM

Does anyone know what are the prices for the sandy bridge mobos?
m
0
l
December 20, 2010 8:32:00 PM

There are the price for high end with no graphic support:
Asus P8P67 Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 ATX 172.45$
Asus P8P67 LE Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 ATX 154.21$
Asus P8P67 PRO Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 ATX 202.96$
Asus P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA1155 P67 ATX 292.32$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P Intel P67 1155 ATX 174.77$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 Intel P67 LGA1155 ATX 209.09$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 Intel P67 LGA1155 ATX 282.67$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 Intel P67 LGA1155 ATX 355.93$

There are the price for low end with graphic support:
Asus MB P8H67-M LE Core i7 5 3 LGA1155 H67 ATX 109.15$
Asus MB P8H67-M PRO CSM Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 H67 MATX 129.65$
Gigabyte MB GA-H67M-D2 Intel H67 LGA1155 MATX 98.92$

price are in canadian from a local store
no CPU on the list yet.
m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
December 20, 2010 8:37:25 PM

areszues92 said:
Which one should i buy? They are both the same price right? How about performance?


If you do go with the i5 2500 (and I would since Anand had a preview that was showing about 20% improvement) I would put the extra few bucks towards getting a 2500K. Its only anout $15 more and has a unlocked multiplier which will allow for some awesome overclocking.
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 4:17:47 AM

greniers said:
There are the price for high end with no graphic support:
Asus P8P67 Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 ATX 172.45$
Asus P8P67 LE Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 ATX 154.21$
Asus P8P67 PRO Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 ATX 202.96$
Asus P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA1155 P67 ATX 292.32$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P Intel P67 1155 ATX 174.77$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 Intel P67 LGA1155 ATX 209.09$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 Intel P67 LGA1155 ATX 282.67$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 Intel P67 LGA1155 ATX 355.93$

There are the price for low end with graphic support:
Asus MB P8H67-M LE Core i7 5 3 LGA1155 H67 ATX 109.15$
Asus MB P8H67-M PRO CSM Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 H67 MATX 129.65$
Gigabyte MB GA-H67M-D2 Intel H67 LGA1155 MATX 98.92$

price are in canadian from a local store
no CPU on the list yet.

Hey, man.
Which store is this from?
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 11:11:19 AM

JE_D said:
Hey, man.
Which store is this from?


This is a Quebec city store. The prices are not in their site yet.
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 4:14:45 PM

greniers said:
This is a Quebec city store microdata.ca but price are not in the site yet.

Thanks! :) 

I live in Ontario, and those prices now give me a general idea on what a socket 1155 motherboard will cost IN CANADA :) 
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 6:32:20 PM

greniers said:
There are the price for high end with no graphic support:
Asus P8P67 Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 ATX 172.45$
Asus P8P67 LE Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 ATX 154.21$
Asus P8P67 PRO Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 P67 ATX 202.96$
Asus P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA1155 P67 ATX 292.32$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3P Intel P67 1155 ATX 174.77$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4 Intel P67 LGA1155 ATX 209.09$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD5 Intel P67 LGA1155 ATX 282.67$
Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD7 Intel P67 LGA1155 ATX 355.93$

There are the price for low end with graphic support:
Asus MB P8H67-M LE Core i7 5 3 LGA1155 H67 ATX 109.15$
Asus MB P8H67-M PRO CSM Core i7 i5 i3 LGA1155 H67 MATX 129.65$
Gigabyte MB GA-H67M-D2 Intel H67 LGA1155 MATX 98.92$

price are in canadian from a local store
no CPU on the list yet.



I'm not a gamer so might opt for the "H67" variants so I don't have to spend $$ on a GPU. What am I going to be giving up on the "high end" P67 boards?
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 7:51:23 PM

hogan773 said:
I'm not a gamer so might opt for the "H67" variants so I don't have to spend $$ on a GPU. What am I going to be giving up on the "high end" P67 boards?


It's not a problem on a non gaming machine. But you need to know that the H67 will not support overclocking. If you need to overclock, you have to go for the P67 solution and a discrete graphic.

The new embedded graphics in the I3, I5 and I7 solution is near 50%(suppose to be) faster than this predecessor equivalent to a low end graphic card like ATI 5450.

On the low end card you will see less expansion slot, PCIE more limited on number of lane.

You can compare gygabyte board features http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=1&p...
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 8:38:43 PM

areszues92 said:
Which one should i buy? They are both the same price right? How about performance?



tell me this: is 2500 out yet? if not please do not post these "future processor thread" that's not even hit the market yet and no one ever know the performance and price point of non-existence 2500 but of cause unless you come from 2 month in the future, but i doubt you're probably already get your answer at the time!
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 9:55:00 PM

greniers said:
It's not a problem on a non gaming machine. But you need to know that the H67 will not support overclocking. If you need to overclock, you have to go for the P67 solution and a discrete graphic. The new embedded graphics in the I3, I5 and I7 solution is near 50%(suppose to be) faster than this predecessor equivalent to a low end graphic card like ATI 5450.

On the low end card you will see less expansion slot, PCIE more limited on number of lane.

You can compare gygabyte board features http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=1&p...



Whoa-----really? Is this the case for all H67 boards? You mean I can't even adjust the multiplier on the K-version chip? This is the first I've heard of this......this may throw a curveball in my thoughts.

m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
December 21, 2010 10:06:18 PM

greniers said:
It's not a problem on a non gaming machine. But you need to know that the H67 will not support overclocking. If you need to overclock, you have to go for the P67 solution and a discrete graphic.

The new embedded graphics in the I3, I5 and I7 solution is near 50%(suppose to be) faster than this predecessor equivalent to a low end graphic card like ATI 5450.

On the low end card you will see less expansion slot, PCIE more limited on number of lane.

You can compare gygabyte board features http://www.gigabyte.com/products/list.aspx?s=42&jid=1&p...


I find it strange that the Gigabyte mobos only support Crossfire when P67 is supposed to support both SLI and CFX.
m
0
l
December 21, 2010 11:03:41 PM

jimmysmitty said:
I find it strange that the Gigabyte mobos only support Crossfire when P67 is supposed to support both SLI and CFX.


Gigabyte support both starting with GA-P67A-UD4 and more.

The better value motherboard I found now for Sandy bridge is ASUS P8P67 & P8P67 PRO that had more features than Gigabyte for the $. Gigabyte move some features to higher model UD5 & UD7 like firewire and more usb ports

m
0
l
December 22, 2010 12:14:31 AM

The i5 is no slouch either man. That may be the best bang for the buck i5-2500K maybe my next upgrade!!!
m
0
l
December 25, 2010 10:21:12 PM

;)  SandyBridge Core i5 2500K preview of its performance, here is the link >>> Link
m
0
l
December 26, 2010 12:59:31 AM

Some interesting benchies..
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
December 26, 2010 10:18:07 PM

Food for thought.....

as MBs are already on sale in Asia, saw some pics/screencaps of a 2600K running at 50x (up from stock 36!) multiplier (using Biostar MB), for 5 Ghz, on air cooling (CPU had a large heat pipe affair)....don't know what sort of sustained stability/thermal testing they did, but, the ability to run a thorough battery of chess/superpi/Prime95/rendering benchmarks at 5 GHz is indeed a nice start!
m
0
l
!