Intel core i5 760 or Intel core i5 2500(sandy bridge)

Phoenixlight

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009

Well there's no point in asking the question then, if you're comparing two CPU's one of which is the future replacement of the other one then of course it's going to be better...

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

Ummm ok sure - I wasn't the one who asked the question :eek:

And I disagree about not asking the question. I think a lot of people are wondering whether they are "missing" the "great prices" they see on i5 760s etc, which are all excellent CPUs and are currently the go-to CPUs of choice on these boards. So people sort of worry that if they wait for SandyBridge, they'll forego this great deal on a perfectly acceptable chip, and then they worry that once SB comes out, it will be more expensive for marginal gains, etc, then they'll wish they jumped on the proven technology of the 760.

I think that line of reasoning is completely misguided by the way, as I don't see a reason NOT to wait, and I believe one can still buy 760s even in January and maybe there will even be a further price drop. But I'm just guessing what is going on in the brains of all the posters who keep putting up these "Should I buy now or wait????" threads.....

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
Here is what is "supposed" to be the lineup with prices. Take it with a grain of salt the size of the Bonneville Salt Flats. :)

expreview102610.jpg

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010
You know what they say about early adopters. They're not so much guinea pigs as masochists. However, I have zero choice but to place the order within hours of the CPUs showing up, so I guess I must be the latter! :)

socratesx

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2010
Of course not, a stable overclocking requires many parameters to be changed and set correctly. An unlocked multiplier just gives you more flexibility in order to reach higher frequency.

hogan773

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2010

What other parameters will be allowed to be changed and set correctly? Voltage?

halfcalf

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2010

I think it's a very wise strategy. The vast majority of computer users don't even know what OC is. And the "apparent" price diff between the base and K CPUs seems to be very contained.

You should do the online equivalent of camping out in front of the store all night - sit all night at your PC with your order info scripted in, and your finger poised over the Enter button :p..