Using the built-in SSD cache as boot drive

troyonline

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012
I ordered a Hp 6t 1100 notebook with 32GB SSD + 500GB standard hard-drive. If were to disable the 32GB mSSD Hard Drive Acceleration Cache in the bios, hence making the SSD visible as an additional drive, could I then re-install my OS on this drive and use it as my OS drive? Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? And what hurdles might I have to cross to make this feasible? Could it even be selected as a primary boot drive? I hope somebody in this forum has tried this, as I'm about to also order a secondary 450GB SSD as my storage drive.

I don't think that's a good idea. A 32GB drive formatted is 29.76GB. A Windows 7 install takes around 19GB. That leaves around 10GB of available space on your SSD.

You will probably have better overall performance with the SSD being use as a cache drive for your HDD.

When you receive your 450GB SSD use that as your boot drive and your 500GB HDD as a storage drive.

troyonline

Honorable
Dec 19, 2012

I'm replacing the 500GB hard-drive with the 450GB SSD. The 500GB is a 5400 rpm drive which is too slow for general video work. That's why it's being replaced.

The reason I'm wondering what to do with the 32GB cache is because I was under the impression that once I switch to an all SSD set-up I wouldn't be able to use the Intel Smart cache, because it doesn't work if the drive being cached is also an SSD. I read somewhere that the Intel smart cache only works for disk drives. Can anyone confirm this? And if that's the case, what in anyone's opinion would be the best use for the 32GB drive in an all SSD setup? Thanks for your response guys.

That's correct. The whole purpose of Intel cache is to give "SSD-like" performance to an HDD with an O/S installed on it.
It's for people who can't afford a large capacity SSD (128GB and more) to install their O/S, programs, and games on.

Use the 32GB SSD as a additional backup/storage drive.