Sign in with
Your question

Antec P-183: How to connect case fans to motherboard

Last response: in Components
December 2, 2010 7:32:44 AM

Hi,

I have an Antec P-183, which has two 120 mm case fans. The case fans come with a Molex connector and are connected to a manual switch that controls the speed of the fans. I would prefer to use the motherboard to control them depending on the temperature.

Any ideas how I can connect the fans to the motherboard? Is there some kind of converter?

Thanks, Robert
December 2, 2010 7:44:00 PM

Hi,

Thanks, but isn't that for splitting the 4-pin-connector from the MB to more than one fan? I think the Molex connector in this case is just there to get additional power from the PSU.

Cheers, Robert
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
a c 217 V Motherboard
December 2, 2010 8:10:47 PM

Power comes from the PWM (4 pins, but 3 pin connections work as well) connector on the motherboard, itself (a.k.a. fan connection on motherboard).

This was incorrect. Good catch on the part of the OP. The proper adapter cable is referenced below that does perform the intended task. Mea culpa.
December 3, 2010 5:03:25 AM

Hi COLGeek,

On the second picture it is shown that this device only has small 4-pin connectors for fans and that the Molex connector shall be connected to the PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImag...

In my case I have Molex connectors on the fans, not the small 4-pin connectors.

Cheers, Robert
a b ) Power supply
a c 217 V Motherboard
December 3, 2010 9:56:58 AM

Understood on your point, relooking the cable I now believe you are correct. Now that I think about it, I have a case with the same Antec Tri-Cool fans you have. Running on low, they are very quiet, medium is tolerable, and high not so much.

So, you have a couple options:
1. Run your fans on low and just connect via Molex to the PSU.
2. Swap your Antec fans for new fans that you can connect directly to the mobo
3. Get the correct adapter to connect your current fans to the mobo (see below).

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=molex+to+3+pin...
December 3, 2010 2:13:20 PM

Hi COLGeek,

Thanks, this one looks good! But you are right, on the low setting the noise is quite OK. Will check if the temperatures are OK as well in that setting and then maybe it is the easiest to stick with it.

Thanks, Robert
a b ) Power supply
a c 217 V Motherboard
December 3, 2010 2:31:46 PM

the-ninth said:
Hi COLGeek,

Thanks, this one looks good! But you are right, on the low setting the noise is quite OK. Will check if the temperatures are OK as well in that setting and then maybe it is the easiest to stick with it.

Thanks, Robert

As long as you aren't doing anything too extreme, the low settings generally do okay. Good luck!
December 3, 2010 4:44:21 PM

COLGeek said:
... So, you have a couple options:
1. Run your fans on low and just connect via Molex to the PSU.
2. Swap your Antec fans for new fans that you can connect directly to the mobo
3. Get the correct adapter to connect your current fans to the mobo ...

Just my two cents...
I think you should try options one and two. I had the same problem with my Antec Sonata case and I could not find the right adapter to provide fan control. The motherboard will provide power to the fans but I could not verify if the board also provided fan speed control. The third pin provides that info and there is no wire connected to it.
!