sweetpadude

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Hey guys,

First off I am A new poster, Ive been all over this forum and find that the information
is reliable and the people that are here have a good sense of whats going on,

I wanna know what the community thinks of this new rig i just put together, but...
I am going to be upgradeing the board and memory in december, hopefully a solidstate hd and new vidcard as well....

Case: RAIDMAX Dirk-tooth (full-mid size)
Cooling: 120mm intake, 3) 80 mm intake, 120 out, 90mm stock CPU cooler
CPU:HexaCore AMD Phenom II X6 Black Edition 1090T, 3200 MHz (16 x 200)
MoBo:Asus M4A785TD-V Evo
Memory: OCZ Gold DDR3 1066 (533MHz)(4GIG) set at 7-7-7-16
Video: CUDA: GeForce 9800 GT
Operating Sys:Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Monitor:Acer E211H (21.5)
Storage: WDC 10,000RPM SATA 80GIGx2 set raid 0
Stargate 7,200 rpm

If i forgot anything just shoot me a message

thanks again

sweetpadude

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
rite now it running a major crap PSU, its a diablotek 550 ( quick fix whtn my good 800 died)

what would anyone change to make it more of a gameing rig ? I handle MW with no issues ....

i think i did say before in the next few months im going to upgrade board and 8 gig of mem

The 9800 GT is a 2 generation old, low-mid range gaming graphics card. The CPU is a new powerful 6 core that is well suited to number large, multi-threaded crunching applications, not gaming. Basically its got too much CPU and too little GPU to be a balanced gaming machine.

8gig of RAM will not benefit you at all for gaming performance, might even hurt a little.

sweetpadude

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Informative, thanks...

I gotta do something abuot the GPU, I know its a lil older but in the end it has to go.
Any ideas ?

And how would the 8gig of ddr3 hurt during a gaming operation.

My goal with this pc is to have the ablity to run a full ubuntu server with a vm ver. of windows7.

the PSU I have in mind is going to be something near the 1000-1100 watt killer :)

Ideas are always welcome

Having more ram than you make use of increases power, heat and system overhead. In game testing, going from 4GB to 8GB of ram actually lost something like 1% performance in some cases.

Unless you know you need more RAM, it its probably a good idea to stick with 4 and just check memory usage. Depending on server usage, you could possibly want more RAM. For a gaming PC its extremely unlikely.

Get a quality PSU that suits your power needs and has some room for aging. Going overkill on the PSU is going to cost you money for no purpose. Until you figure out the graphics card situation, you cant figure out the PSU.

sweetpadude

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
ive been looking at this card, EVGA 01G-P3-1372-TR GeForce GTX 460 Video Card found here... http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6623379&Sku=E145-0471

this PSU is looning amazing as well...XION Supernova Lan Party Ed. Power Supply - 1000watt that is found here http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4398389&CatId=2535

the board and mem is something else, i did find a combo deal but im not to sure, input ? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.494077

So far only found a Supernova LAnparty 600W version reviewed.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/2215-xion-supernova-600w-power-supply-review.html
Ouch! It seems to be cheap for its wattage because it is built cheaply on the inside.

Now that is the 600W model and may have absolutely nothing to do with the 1000W model, but until I saw a professional review checking the voltage regulation I wouldnt touch it.

sweetpadude

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
ya like i said its soemthing im doing in december so once ive gone over the specs im sure between myself and everyone here ill get something great around the same price. the voltage regulation is a consern since my cpu is going to freak out with the sligest bit of reatartizm caused by the PSU...

anyone have a higher (1000-1100) watt PSU in mind for me ?