Oops - locked myself out of wireless router. Help?

chubasco

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
I pulled the ultimate knucklehead maneauver and accidentally removed all of my MAC addresses except for my ethernet cards' (which isn't necessary for wireless connection) while leaving the MAC address filtering on.

So, I attempted to reconnect by connecting directly to it using an ethernet cable, but that didn't work. I then attempted to reset the router back to the factory defaults using the reset button on the back, but that didn't work.

Now each time I attempt to access the web admin page I get a generic 'I.E. cannot access that webpage' error message. I've tried using the previous I.P. address and the default one, but won't work.

Questions:

1. Is there an exact sequence of steps to properly reset back to the factory defaults?

2. Is it possible to upgrade the firmware without accessing the web page admin?

3. Where can I get the firmware upgrade for Hardware version 1.1? The firmware upgrade on Linksys' website only supports Hardware versions 2.2 and higher.

Thanks in advance.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Have you tried the little utility that comes w/ all linksys equipment. It is like a config utility you can use instead of going to the webadmin thing. I have never used it to know what you can do w/it but I know it is avaliable. After you reset it to defaults you have tried the factory set ip via hardwire haven't u? (I believe it is 192.168.1.1 for linksys routers and 192.168.1.254 for linksys accesspoints)

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

chubasco

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
I've tried the default 192.168.1.1 address and it doesn't work.

I'll look for the disk that came with the router. Hopefully there is an app that can help.

ClutchWorks

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
Make sure you hold the reset down for over 15-20 seconds to do a full reset. A momentary press of the reset button only does a reboot of the router, doesnt reset to defaults. Then when you hard wire into the router, make sure your nics tcp/ip properties are set to "Obtain IP adress automatically" for the time being. You may need to release and renew your ip. If you dont know how to do that then you could just reboot your pc. At that point you should be able to go to 192.168.1.1 and access the router config. User name:root password:admin

You didnt specify which model router you have but that should work for all linksys
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ClutchWorks on 10/27/04 06:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
""A momentary press of the reset button only does a reboot of the router, doesnt reset to defaults""

Have no idea what you are trying to say here, but it DOES what it sais, no matter how long you hold da batten.

..this is very useful and helpful place for information...

ClutchWorks

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2003
What I am saying is...... if you press the reset button for less than say 5 seconds ...it reboots the router....same as if you unplugged it and plugged it back in. All settings are maintained in the flash ram. If you hold it in for a longer period of time, it clears out the ram and is back to the factory default settings.

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That is not a reset butten then, but some kind of dual purpose switching press to sellect thing. The normal reset butten resets the thing when you press on it, that's why it is usually placed to be so difficult to get to. But whatever you say, I did not build the thing you have, so have no wordz to argue.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
All I can add is that tech support told me to disconnect ALL network connections first and to hold that reset button for 30 seconds or more.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

blah

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
gg, did they tell you to disconnect power plug on it too, caz sometimes it helps to shorten the time of reset butten pressing (heh, they should sound knowladgebell and convincing somehow, right;?)

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Actually, the tech's words were: Turn power OFF on the broadband modem, router, and the 'gateway' PC, then turn power back on for the router ONLY. Then go through reset button and the rest of the steps.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>

chubasco

Distinguished
May 7, 2001
After over an hour on the phone with tech support it turns out that the router had just gone bad.

Went through the RMA Warranty replacement process, recieved and hooked up the replacement router, and now it drops connection every 5-20 minutes :(

Using Wireless Zero Config (no other alternative for my NIC). The last router did the same thing when I initially set it up but eventually resolved itself.

I've tried all 11 broadcast frequencies and don't feel like taking a chance on it resolving itself again, so I'll be installing the XP Pro SP2 in hopes that it stabilizes it.