Sign in with
Your question

How well would FSX operate on a Dell 7100???

Last response: in Systems
September 10, 2010 5:05:57 AM

I hate to ask another FSX performance related question but I am considering upgrading to a different machine and want to make sure I am satisfied with FSX's performance. Unfortunately, I know very little about which video cards matched with which processor equates to outstanding FSX performance (without spending an arm and a leg).

I found a good deal on a new Dell XPS 7100 with these specifics:

CPU / Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 (Quad Core) 630 2.8GHz, 2MB Cache
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
Ram / Memory: 3GB DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive: 500GB NCQ Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200 RPM) w/ 16MB DataBurst Cache
Video: ATI Radeon HD 5450 1024MB

I am currently running an older Dell XPS Gamer 4 with a Pentium 4, 3.2 Ghz with 2 GB of RAM. I have a NVIDIA GF9600 512MB DDR3 video card installed and my FSX performance if poor. I operate in the low to mid teens on frame rates and sometimes dip into single digits. I have some of my scenery and aircraft settings med-high and do have a sizable amount of air traffic.

I don't expect to run FSX with HIGH settings across the board but would really like to be able to move my viewpoint while flying and not have it "skip" around. I want the nice, smooth transitions I see on Youtube FSX vids. I was hoping that this XPS 7100 would be just what the doctor ordered. Any thoughts would be much appreciated!!!

wfd1063

More about : fsx operate dell 7100

September 10, 2010 3:47:22 PM

Well so you know that game is proccessor bound most of the time. And look around you have to mod FSX to use all four cores but it can. Also if you get the new computer put the 9600 GT in it as it is a much better card than the 5450.

T
m
l
September 10, 2010 4:07:22 PM

Thanks for the response!
m
l
!