Athlon 64 3200+ outperforming my expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.

daskallu

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Hello everyone. My current CPU is an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Core OC'ed at 2.34ghz and I saw on a site that it is actually rated at 4.2ghz.

I've recently played Overlord 2, a game that requires minimum of Pentium D 3.2 and recomended core 2 duo, and i'm able to run it at medium to high, with only a few options disabled such as water reflections, motion blur and particle density at 6/8. Yet the game runs very good and visuals are well above my expectations at 1024x768 and 25-30fps.

I'm aware that my GPU carries the CPU a bit, but to what extent?

So is the rated 4.2ghz true? Does it run like a pentium 4 at 4.2ghz?

My PC components are:
Mobo: A8n-E
Cpu: athlon 64 3200+
gpu: 8600gt
ram: 1gb dualchannel

Solution
Athlon 64's performed much better than Pentium 4's.No surprise there especially in gaming.
Microsoft Flight Simulator X actually ran decent in lower resolutions on a Athlon 64 3400+ (playable) where as on a 3.2 Pentium 4 CPU with hyperthreading it would run as a slide show.I've had both systems so I can attest to that.

If you're happy with your current system keep it but it's definitely an older obsolete system.Current CPU's are vastly more powerful even the cheapest single core Sempron 140 is better.Most people here have moved on to much more powerful systems though.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Athlon 64's performed much better than Pentium 4's.No surprise there especially in gaming.
Microsoft Flight Simulator X actually ran decent in lower resolutions on a Athlon 64 3400+ (playable) where as on a 3.2 Pentium 4 CPU with hyperthreading it would run as a slide show.I've had both systems so I can attest to that.

If you're happy with your current system keep it but it's definitely an older obsolete system.Current CPU's are vastly more powerful even the cheapest single core Sempron 140 is better.Most people here have moved on to much more powerful systems though.

Solution

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007

True, although if the op isn't of the kind of changing computer like someone changes clothes for fashion, he should keep it!

You're right when you say that people here have moved on to much more powerful systems, those people are enthusiasts. I actually upgraded from my old faithful athlon 64 3500+ a year ago, but only because i wanted to play some modern games with better framerate and compress video files a lot faster.
To the OP, don't change computer just for the sake of it, even if it was a pentium 3 1ghz, if it suits you, use it until it dies, and don't bother with people saying that the system is obsolete, it works and it is good at what it does, and that is what should matter. Computers aren't fashion items.

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Well that's not the only reason.Modern PC's run hotter and don't last as long as the older ones.
For instance I recently got rid of some IBM PC's and XT's that were still fully functional since 1983.
It's actually a good idea to have several PC's in case one of them fails and the user is stuck without Internet access,can't email,game etc.
It's generally a good idea to replace your PC every 2 or 3 years,5 years at the most.If your older PC still works keep it as a backup.Even if one can only afford a new budget PC it's usually better than a 3 year old computer.

daskallu

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2010
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm actually planning an upgrade to an E2160 after new years day.

But right now, I'm just arguing with my brother about the rated 4.2ghz part :). He says it's just a marketing advertise, but even if it is, I love this CPU and the way it outperforms my expectations :p.

^1 very true.
I have a Dell Precision 450 Dual Xeon 3.2 from 2005 and back then it was a $4000 business workstation.
Now it is barely worth 200 US dollars on Craigslist even with the upgrades.
BUT it does everything I need to do well.
I encode,rip dvds,record Netflix,record TV,play Crysis Warhead etc.
BUT I still am looking for that cheap used C2Q system on Craigslist.
I can't justify it logically.
Why do people buy Corvette or Porsche?
A Civic or Focus will do the job.
"I feel the need for speed" - Top Gun 1984

Status
Not open for further replies.