X58 mother board wont boot

snow777777

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
Hi , i recently had my system up and running nicely but the cpu fan was running a little hot so i replaced it with a better cooling heat sink ; any ways, in doing so when i put the parts back together it ran once for me turned on but i realize i wasnt useing the factory stand offs. i attempted to try my power supply on other machens to test and see if it was the power unit but however it's not and the green led remains on when i plug it in. my mother board is an x58 sabertooth and my case is a haf 992 i believe .
Thanks

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :)

The standoff's MUST line-up properly with the MOBO screw holes otherwise they can easily cause a short and post failure. In addition, if the new HSF uses a metal backplate AND you didn't use 'something' e.g. plastic washers then that too can cause a short and ... post failure.

Q - what HSF?

IMO unscrew the MOBO and PCIe screws and pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and support with a towel -- try to boot.

snow777777

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
i've tried placing it on cardboard out of the case on a towl you name it i've taken that thing apart for 5 hours yesterday it might be the screw thing. i have had it running with the heat sink
i got a "H50"

Pull all of the Headers including Front and USB, pull the GPU, pull ALL peripherals including {drives, Keyboard & Mouse}, 1 stick of RAM in the 2nd DIMM slot closest to CPU -- then using a wire or screwdriver short the PWR & Ground to see if it starts.

I overlooked the 'NOT' -> i attempted to try my power supply on other machens to test and see if it was the power unit but however it's not

That would indicate a bad PSU.

Otherwise, IF the PSU is 'good' 8/10 MOBO, 2/10 CPU, but you MUST have a working and correctly sized PSU. The size of the PSU is dependent upon your 'GPU(s)' installed and what if any OC of the CPU and/or GPU(s).