Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Hard Drive Failing?

Last response: in Storage
Share
December 20, 2012 12:13:01 AM

Hey everyone, recently I built my own computer and everything was working fine like it should be until a few weeks ago. Randomly my computer will blue screen. After I restart everything the hard drive will not be detected for about 5 - 10 minutes of the computer being off. I am thinking this is a hard drive problem, although I have ran 3 different tests and they all passed. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. I should also add that this is an internal drive and not an external drive.

More about : hard drive failing

a b G Storage
December 20, 2012 12:27:26 AM

Can you tell us what the blue screen is saying?
It doesn't sound like a hard drive problem. Some motherboard/hard drive combos are just kinda quirky. Like my motherboard won't detect one of my hard drives after a crash, simply turning off then on the system remedies the problem.
m
0
l
December 20, 2012 1:33:05 AM

memadmax said:
Can you tell us what the blue screen is saying?
It doesn't sound like a hard drive problem. Some motherboard/hard drive combos are just kinda quirky. Like my motherboard won't detect one of my hard drives after a crash, simply turning off then on the system remedies the problem.


Unfortunately, I don't have what it says. I remember it asking about newly installed hardware (have not added anything since it was built), but that's about it. But if it happens again soon I will be sure to post. I will also be sure to keep in mind what you said about the motherboard and hard drives being quirky.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 20, 2012 2:15:47 AM

Get into your event viewer (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Open-E...) and check the system log. Look for errors and critical errors. If you can remember when the last time it happened was, you should be able to find the log for that error pretty easily.

Find a few of the errors and post back all their error codes here and we'll go from there!
m
0
l
December 20, 2012 3:39:48 PM

benji720 said:
Get into your event viewer (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Open-E...) and check the system log. Look for errors and critical errors. If you can remember when the last time it happened was, you should be able to find the log for that error pretty easily.

Find a few of the errors and post back all their error codes here and we'll go from there!


Spoiler

Log Name: System
Source: atapi
Date: 12/19/2012 9:06:02 PM
Event ID: 11
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: Cole-PC
Description:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Ide\IdePort2.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="atapi" />
<EventID Qualifiers="49156">11</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-12-20T02:06:02.996484200Z" />
<EventRecordID>10803</EventRecordID>
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Cole-PC</Computer>
<Security />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>\Device\Ide\IdePort2</Data>
<Binary>0000100001000000000000000B0004C002000000850100C00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000004100000</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

is this what you are looking for?
m
0
l
December 20, 2012 10:46:43 PM

Hmm... Do you have more than one drive in there?
m
0
l
December 21, 2012 4:25:27 PM

benji720 said:
Hmm... Do you have more than one drive in there?

Nope, only one.
m
0
l
!