Sign in with
Your question

Alternative to GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 for similar price with sli /xfire?

Last response: in Systems
September 10, 2010 10:31:38 AM

I'm currently thinkin about going with GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 but I was wondering if there was a board in the same price range / quality range but that could support crossfire / sli if I wanted to expand in the future?

I'm currently going with HD5850 but if I wanted to go dual in the future, was thinkin it could be a good option.
September 10, 2010 2:33:03 PM

Damn, but unfortunately where i live in Japan, that board is goin for 250 bucks >.<

Sometimes they are cheaper, sometimes the same, and sometimes you get screwed...

Generally we don't get any of the awesome rebates in america...
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2010 2:35:58 PM

Zip is correct, the Gigabyte board will not SLI/XFire. The board he suggested seems a good idea. If you don't care about USB/SATA III then the board he has linked is a great price and perfect for you.

For me, the only other choice for board which would also include USB/SATA III would be the Asus P7P55D E Pro. But that is $180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

So it is beyond your price range and likely not worth it to you if you don't need the latest tech.

Having said that, I would actually purchase a GTX460 1gb card instead of the 5850. The MSI card is only $205 after rebate which is a lot cheaper than the 5850 and is a good performing card. The main reason I recommend it though is because you plan on using a 2 card set up and due to SLI being superior for scaling, the GTX460s paired actually outperform the 5850s.

Currently my view is - for a single card build go 5850, but if you have a mobo to support SLI/Crossfire, then GTX 460 is a better way to go.

With the money saved you coul even go with the Asus P7P55D E Pro board if you really wanted to
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
September 10, 2010 3:31:46 PM

I am 90% sure that i'll never go dual card, but I wanted to see my options. Unfortunately no rebates apply to me as i don't live in the US, and i'm mainly building this computer for FFXIV / some other random games that don't require as much power as FFXIV so having a good graphics card is important.

I'll check into that other board though. The only reason I have the GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 currently in my build is I hear it's a rock solid board, and I can get it for the same price in Japan as in america.
m
l
September 10, 2010 10:54:22 PM

Usually the prices line up so it doesn't matter. I just ignore the rebates, but in this particular case, that board costs x2.

And there is little to no resources such as this site in Japan lol
m
l
!