Sign in with
Your question

Latest AVG Auto-update Is No Boot Nightmare For All Win 64bit OS

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2010 10:51:14 AM

If you're running a 64 bit Win, uninstall AVG immediately before you reboot!

http://forums.cnet.com/avg-forum/?tag=rb_content;forums06

The latest automatic update bluescreens Win 64 OSs and gets you into a boot loop that stops at AVGIDSEH.SYS. No way to escape from it. Apparently it's happening to most 64 bit Win installs.

The AVG site tells you do download

http://forums.avg.com/ww-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&a...

An AVG Emergency Boot Disk that can be loaded onto CD or USB key and if you follow the instructions... guess what... yup... back to the endless boot loop.

I'm running the Win Utility diagnostics now and it's telling me that the SMART Long Self Test alone is going to run 131 minutes... and yeah... guess what... no way to escape it.

AVG has admitted that it's a faulty upgrade that's blowing up the systems. How many millions of PCs run AVG and 64 bit OSs? Nobody beta tested this crap?

WTF??????????????????????

:pfff: 
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 10:53:10 AM

Good thing that I am running Microsoft Security Essentials instead.
m
l
December 2, 2010 10:55:56 AM

If I can get my system to boot, AVG is sooooooooooooooooooooo gone.... :cry: 
m
l
Related resources
December 2, 2010 11:04:01 AM

You're 100% right and I deserve it. :(  I've been using it for years with no problem but about a month ago it started demanding frequent reboots (never did that before) and I was thinking of killing it... should have done it.

Damn...

Anyone point me to a good link to set up a Vista Home Premium 64 bit boot disk on an USB Flash Drive? For reasons probably linked to this AVG idiocy, my CD-DVD drive isn't reading my system disk!
m
l
December 2, 2010 11:09:09 AM

I'm going through this one now step by step.

http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-install-windows-7vist...

I'm not a happy cow this morning. :( 

Edit 5:12 am Pacific: That one doesn't work. Diskpart gives me an access error on the USB key. Trying another site now.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/181538-usb-bootable-v...

Seems to be working so far in the Diskpart aspect. I'll keep posting as I go to serve as a guide for the next sucker... er... AVG user... :( 
m
l
December 2, 2010 11:19:27 AM

I worship cows too, but usually when they're sliced and medium rare next to a baked potato. :) 

I went to AVG years ago when Norton was slowing down my system to molasses. It's been working perfectly up until the latest idiotic version came out. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :fou: 

Edit 5:21 am Pacific: Currently formatting 4GB USB Key to NTFS, a bit slow but looks like it should take about 3 or 4 minutes. So far that site is giving perfect instructions.

Edit 5:36 am Pacific: USB key is properly formatted. Now going to copy over the Vista Installation Disk files, still following those instructions.

Edit 5:46 am Pacific: Currently copying over 2.7 GB of Vista DVD over to USB Key. 10 minutes left to go. I'm sooooooooooooo glad I got up at 4 am this morning so I could get a project done by 9 am! NOT! :ouch:  Great advice for any AVG user. Make damn sure you have a second computer. I really wonder what I would have done if I had only my main system here this morning. :non: 

Edit 5:52 am Pacific: USB key now has all the Vista files. Going over to the main PC and giving it a shot. Fingers crossed! ;) 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 11:55:42 AM

2209136,8,762662 said:
I worship cows too, but usually when they're sliced and medium rare next to a baked potato. :) quotemsg]

You forgot the asparagus, but still a +1!
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:03:02 PM

In the famous words of Babe Ruth to the British Princess "asparagus makes my pee stink." :lol: 

Well, guess what. 6:01 am Pacific and tried three times to run System Repair. Getting a message that this Vista installation is incompatible, even though it's the original disk. Thank goodness I also have a Win 7 orig disk for the laptop. Going to try loading up that DVD onto the USB key next. This is getting more and more fun, boys and girls. I love AVG! NOT! :cry: 

Edit 6:06 am Pacific. It's getting to be even greater fun. Win 7 is too big to fit on the 4GB USB Key I prepared. So now I have to go and redo the whole NTFS mess with a larger USB Key. I have an 8GB here. Thank GAWD that I'm well equipped (yes, that's what all the girls say)... :pt1cable: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 12:06:17 PM

Having a working usable secondary computer (or more than that) is really mandatory for many reasons.
m
l
December 2, 2010 12:08:59 PM

jj463rd said:
Having a working usable secondary computer (or more than that) is really mandatory for many reasons.

I hope that the programmers at AVG have a secondary career as well, preferably saying "would you like fries with that, sir?" :lol: 

There is NO excuse for setting up as an auto-update such alpha trash! :pfff: 

Edit 6:15 am Pacific: NTFSing the 8GB USB. Taking longer as it's a larger Key. All I can say is that I'm very glad that I have a separate boot drive with all my data files on a RAID setup. If I have to reinstall the OS completely to get out of this mess it's no problem. Pain in the butt to reinstall all the apps, but at least my data is safe on the separate RAID HDs. It's also a good thing that it happened now as I was toying with the idea of having a single SSD to run everything in the system I'm buying next month. Looks like that idea is out the window. Definitely separate boot and data drives for me, thanks.

Edit 6:28 am Pacific: 8GB USB is ready. Copying over Win 7 files starting now.

Edit 6:44 am Pacific: Win 7 files now on 8GB USB key. Going over to the AVG-TRASHED computer now...

Edit 6:52 am Pacific: The good news just keeps on coming. System Repair is unable to fix it. Checked for System Restore Points and it says it can't find any! WTF did AVG do to my PC? :fou:  Going to have to install Win 7 from scratch... no other choice now... AVG PROGRAMMERS = MORONS :pfff: 
m
l
December 2, 2010 1:40:16 PM

7:37 am Pacific. Almost 4 hours after the AVG nightmare started, I'm back on my main system, albeit using the Win 7 install from my laptop. Heck, I was gonna upgrade this rig to 7 before I gave it to my gf, so I guess I'm off to the store today to buy one!

Please excuse the caps: THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR AVG TO TRASH COMPUTERS LIKE THIS! WHOEVER AT AVG LET THIS AUTOUPDATE SLIP BY SHOULD BE FIRED IMMEDIATELY! :non: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 2:11:39 PM

Hope you had everything backed up on another drive/machine. Good luck.

As for AVG, they have usually been very good with their updates. If you ask me, though, the pay antimalware services are half the reason we have a problem in the first place.

For myself, I have been using AVAST and a very healthy dose of judicious browsing. This is fine, as I am the only one running this system and I don't do any real work on it. The other boxes under my desk, though, are running any variety of McAffee, Symantec Endpoint, CA Antivirus Plus, MSE, and just about any other number of products, since these are all work machines and I am required to maintain a higher level of reliability for my customers as I remotely connect to their networks on a frequent basis.
m
l
December 2, 2010 2:50:09 PM

dipankar2007ind: I'd love to see fired as in "firing squad" :) 

Houndsteeth: I have a separate boot drive so fortunately no data lost. Just have to reinstall all my apps from scratch which is a giant pain.

Now, here is an interesting query:

I now have the Win 7 from my laptop installed on my desktop, completely illegally. It is also illegal to install a Win 7 upgrade over an illegal installed Win 7. Now what?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 6:16:17 PM

Look for a Microsoft Get Genuine Kit for the version of Win7 you have installed. It's the MS answer to legitimately resolving any license issues, no questions asked. It will cost a little bit more than the upgrade or OEM versions, but not excessively so.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 6:18:26 PM

But to be honest, you should be able to buy an upgrade version, format the drive, and then use the original Vista serial numbers to enable the upgrade. This is just as good an option without any legal gray areas.
m
l
December 2, 2010 6:48:18 PM

Yeah, that's pretty well the lowdown that I got over on Microsoft Answers Forum a couple of hours ago. Buy the Upgrade and then call in to MS and explain the situation. I shouldn't even have to install the Upgrade since I already have 7 on the PC. All I need is the # apparently. I hope it works that way! :) 
m
l
December 2, 2010 7:06:29 PM

I had this problem this morning on Windows 7 Home Premium. But, I was able to fix it with System Restore. What I did was let Startup Repair work and fail. At the send the problem to MS, I close out that dialog box and then clicked the Advanced Repair link ? (can't remember the exact terminology) on the lower dialog box. I did a system restore to before when I rebooted and got my desktop back. I got the AVG Needs to Reboot dialog and postponed it for 60 minutes. I then uninstalled AVG. All better now.
m
l
December 2, 2010 9:34:07 PM

Seems that we're not alone... I'm seeing other reports on AVG and varied forums. Someone really scrood da pooch on this one. You got off lucky. I couldn't get to startup repair in any way... it would just get to that AVGIDSEH.SYS and loop back to start. GRRRRRR!
m
l
December 2, 2010 11:38:21 PM

I found a way to get into safe mode. After screwing around trying to make that stupid USB recovery drive from AVG I stumbled upon something else. First boot using a linux live cd like slax or something else, any will do, then use the file manager to navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\" and rename the two files avgrs*.exe and avgchsv*.exe to something else. I just changed the .exe to .bad (seemed appropriate haha!) Then I rebooted into safe mode, uninstalled AVG, rebooted into normal mode and now everything works as it did! So looks like reinstalling windows 7 can be avoided, we'll just have to find something a little more reliable to replace AVG with I guess. Hopes this helps!
m
l
December 3, 2010 5:06:01 PM

stompit said:
I found a way to get into safe mode. After screwing around trying to make that stupid USB recovery drive from AVG I stumbled upon something else. First boot using a linux live cd like slax or something else, any will do, then use the file manager to navigate to "C:\Program Files (x86)\AVG\AVG10\" and rename the two files avgrs*.exe and avgchsv*.exe to something else. I just changed the .exe to .bad (seemed appropriate haha!) Then I rebooted into safe mode, uninstalled AVG, rebooted into normal mode and now everything works as it did! So looks like reinstalling windows 7 can be avoided, we'll just have to find something a little more reliable to replace AVG with I guess. Hopes this helps!

I didn't try that as I didn't go linux, but I did use AVG's silly Midnight Commander to first rename then delete those damn files outright and still nothing happened. I had no choice but a full OS reinstall. :( 
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:25:19 PM

Sorry to hear about your troubles halfcalf but, I would like to thank you for the heads up about this update. I run windows 7 64bit with AVG free and was able to delete the files before rebooting. Thanks again.
m
l
December 3, 2010 6:32:20 PM

You're very welcome. I'm happy I was able to keep someone from going through AVG Hades! :) 
m
l
December 3, 2010 9:58:36 PM

Sorry to hear that halfcalf, it worked for me with no problems whatsoever. A fresh install is nice every once and a while anyways I guess!
m
l
a c 149 à CPUs
December 3, 2010 10:18:29 PM

My AVG updated and updated and updated about 10 times this morning (2am eastern) and eventually stopped and said it was up to date. I had no problems booting up later but while it was updating browsing the internet was laggy as heck. I had attributed that to the 7 downed backbone routers though. (according to internettrafficreport.com)

Gigabyte 890fx mobo, AMD 1090T, 1GB 460GTX, 8gb ram running win7 64.
m
l
December 3, 2010 10:24:14 PM

stompit: I'd been meaning to upgrade this rig to Win7 from Vista before giving it to my gf next month anyway, so I guess I had to do it anyway.

popatim: From what I've been reading on the various forums, you're best off to take that AVG off your system right now and not take any chances. There are lots of other free options that work just as well. I put MS Security Essentials on both of my computers yesterday and everything went very well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2010 10:35:26 PM

^Microsoft security essentials is a free AV guard created by the same company/people that created your operating system, wouldn't it make sense that they know the OS and how it works better then others and therefore create a product much better and refined :) . BTW I have Avira free and it works great, i used to have AVG and it sucked, switched to avira like over a year ago and haven't had a single virus since.
m
l
!