Titanic3

Honorable
Jun 29, 2012
I have a Dell Optiplex 380 with a 250GB HDD and a 1TB HDD that I added about a year ago. Now I am running out of space again (I have over 30+ games :bounce: ). I was thinking of moving all my data on the 250GB onto a new 1TB HDD (or larger). I'm unable to simply add in a new HDD because I have used up all my SATA ports. My only option is to either upgrade or get a new HDD. I'm going cheap so I'm just going to replace the 250GB HDD.

I'm not looking for SSDs, I don't really care for the 3 second boot up time, I just need space, lots of it. So my question is, can I do that with a Dell? Can I move the data on the 250GB to a new HDD without having to reinstall anything (really don't want to buy a copy of Windows)? If so, how?

Specs:

Q9550 QuadCore@2.83Ghz
Radeon 6870
4GB RAM
Windows 7 32 bit
1x 250GB HDD
1x 1TB HDD.

RealBeast

Titan
Yes, if you can attach the new drive, you can clone the old drive to the new and expand it to the full size of the new drive.

Many software programs will do that for you, one free program that works well is EaseUS Todo -- if you have no other spare SATA ports or an external dock, you can detach your DVD drive for a while to do the clone and then reattach when done.

Before cloning, I would make a system repair disc (just type that in the start button run box and follow the wizard using one CD) first, in case it is needed to repair your SRP after the clone. Sometimes needed, sometimes not.