UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
Hi,

I have a corsair 550vx psu for about a year and a half. Recently I've noticed that a faint low clicking sound coming out of my psu. The problem is that it's audible if you stay close to the psu, like 3-4 cm away of it, or when it's really quiet in the room you can hear a single barely noticeable "click" now and then.

Is this a fan issue or just a psu component about to fail ? I've noticed this for some time and the psu works with no problems whatsoever, no reboots, no freezings, nothing. The psu came with a 3 year warranty but the guy at the shop said if it's still working he can't exchange it with another one.

Thanks

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
Well if your PSU is clicking, time for an RMA. Tell the guy it's making weird sounds and your afraid it's going to kill the rest of your machine. Is the problem constant or intermittent?

UnevenPieces

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2009
It's constant, but you can barely notice the sound. It has to be quiet in the room and you'll have to stay close to the psu to hear the sound. It may be the psu fan, but again, I don't know if that is a critical problem.

I don't know if the shop, where I bought it, will exchange it if it's still working. They could send it to the supplier or manufacturer for analysis but that means I will get my psu in weeks, or even months. I don't have that kind of time to waste.

sportsfanboy

Distinguished
If it's constant there shouldn't be a problem proving there is a defect with the PSU. I would call first and tell him what's up with it, and see what he says. If not go down there and make him an offer he can't refuse. That has always worked for me in the past.

Lutfij

Titan
Well you could always tell him to replace your entire machine f the whole rig goes up in flames cos of a glitchy PSU :) maybe that'll get him off his seat and get some work done.

tell him you've googled it and found that it relates to RMA of PSU :D I'm sure you'll get a PSU for the time you'll have to wait.