Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is my rig good enough to max out current day games???

Last response: in Systems
Share
September 10, 2010 12:50:46 PM

I want to play these games at very high settings:

GTA 4
Crysis warhead
Batman Arkham Asylum
Just Cause 2
MS Flight Simulator X
Battlefield Bad company 2
Mass Effect 2
Mafia 2
call of duty 6 modern warfare 2

I also want to know that will it be able to play upcoming crysis 2 on high??

My rig

AMD Phenom ii x4 945@3.01 ghz quad core O.C 3.3ghz
2 X 2 gb ddr-2 ram O.C 1200mhz
Nvidia geforce 9800gt 1gb O.C 40% (no heating issues yet)
ASUS M4A78-em/1394
17" LG LCD monitor (1280 X 1024)
450 W PSU
500 gb HDD
Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit

No other cooling components like water cooling etc.
Please comment coz I don't want to waste money on buying games if it could not run them.
Thanks in advance.
September 10, 2010 1:37:51 PM

If you wanting to play games like Crysis and GTA IV, your going to want something bigger then DDR2 memory. Get some of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

As for your video card, your going to need something a little stronger.
I would try to get maybe a ATI 5870 or a GTX 470
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168....

And get a bigger power supply. I'd say around 750 to 800.

But this is my opinion, based on what I know. =P
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 10, 2010 4:22:44 PM

a 5870 or gtx 470 on 1280x1024????? i dont think so that would be major overkill your system should be fine if you are looking to upgrade then i would get a gtx 460 1gb (even that is a bit overkill for your resolution) i chose that card as it is the best price vs performance IMO, but your system should be able to play those games well at your resolution
m
0
l
Related resources
September 13, 2010 1:38:08 PM

I guess if were going by the resolution, you wouldn't need a big heavy card like Gordon said. But the one thing you said earlier is wanting to play Crysis 2. Maybe you could buy two of those gtx 460s and SLI them, and your system will be crazy. Other then that, I think your set.

The only thing I would change ( but this is because itsmy opionion), to get a better mobo that can support DDR3 memory. It will you help you a lot better in the future.

But, that's my opinion. =P
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2010 2:41:33 PM

Just get a gtx460 and make sure your power supply can handle it
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2010 2:52:51 PM

RAM has pretty much no effect on gaming, it's almost all on the graphics card (and a some on the CPU) for most modern games. At low resolutions, the CPU will factor in more, but it shouldn't be a huge concern except for games like GTA IV.

I'd agree with Obsidian86, a GTX 460 is probably your best bet, or possibly even an ATI 5770. The easiest way to verify would be to simply google benchmarks for the graphics cards and games you're interested in at 1280x1024.
m
0
l
September 13, 2010 3:31:11 PM

You'll definitely be able to run those games on decent settings though without any upgrades. Unless one is really badly optimized or there's some other factor like a compatibility thing. The question is do you want to go through the cost and effort to make an upgrade to be able to turn the settings higher.
m
0
l
September 13, 2010 4:25:03 PM

Necromas said:
You'll definitely be able to run those games on decent settings though without any upgrades. Unless one is really badly optimized or there's some other factor like a compatibility thing. The question is do you want to go through the cost and effort to make an upgrade to be able to turn the settings higher.


no,I have already increased my budget a lot for that thing....I m not at all going to upgrade it before 1 and half years.
m
0
l
September 13, 2010 4:27:22 PM

coldsleep said:
RAM has pretty much no effect on gaming, it's almost all on the graphics card (and a some on the CPU) for most modern games. At low resolutions, the CPU will factor in more, but it shouldn't be a huge concern except for games like GTA IV.

I'd agree with Obsidian86, a GTX 460 is probably your best bet, or possibly even an ATI 5770. The easiest way to verify would be to simply google benchmarks for the graphics cards and games you're interested in at 1280x1024.

RAM has something to do with games. RAM must be atleast 2gb or more....unnecessary RAM don't make performance any better.Atleast, for now 4gb ram is good.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2010 4:45:50 PM

ATi RaDEoN said:
RAM has something to do with games. RAM must be atleast 2gb or more....unnecessary RAM don't make performance any better.Atleast, for now 4gb ram is good.


Right, I was responding to the suggestion that you needed DDR3. There's very little difference between DDR2 and DDR3 for gaming.

As long as you have 2 GB, most games will be ok, 4 GB is more than enough for gaming right now.
m
0
l
September 13, 2010 5:11:53 PM

an overclocked 9800gt should be around gts250/HD5750 performance which is fine for 1280x1024. its a dx10 card so it should be supported but you might want to get a dx11 card. since you dont want to upgrade for a year and a half, maybe you should go the gtx460. you will need to get a new power supply for that since you have overclocked.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2010 5:46:27 PM

he should be able to run the gtx 460 on that psu, a 9800gt is more power hungry than a gtx 460
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 13, 2010 9:23:04 PM

infernox_01 said:
an overclocked 9800gt should be around gts250/HD5750 performance
With 1GB RAM a heavily overclocked 9800 should beat those and might give a 5770/4870 some competition in nvidia biased games.

Anything less than a 460 1GB or 5850 isnt enough improvement to be worth the money.
m
0
l
September 14, 2010 4:25:01 AM

coldsleep said:
Right, I was responding to the suggestion that you needed DDR3. There's very little difference between DDR2 and DDR3 for gaming.

As long as you have 2 GB, most games will be ok, 4 GB is more than enough for gaming right now.

exactly, my DDR 2 is overclocked to 1200mhz by default, so it is very much near to the performance of a basic DDR 3...ofcourse, ddr 2 and ddr 3 gaming has very little difference.
m
0
l
September 14, 2010 4:28:56 AM

infernox_01 said:
an overclocked 9800gt should be around gts250/HD5750 performance which is fine for 1280x1024. its a dx10 card so it should be supported but you might want to get a dx11 card. since you dont want to upgrade for a year and a half, maybe you should go the gtx460. you will need to get a new power supply for that since you have overclocked.

I overclocked my 9800gt to very high limit and fortunately there are no heating issues yet because I game with CPU cabinet open and moreover my AC is placed just near it...so, GPU remains cool with average temperature of 65-70 degree celsius.
m
0
l
September 14, 2010 4:34:05 AM

dndhatcher said:
With 1GB RAM a heavily overclocked 9800 should beat those and might give a 5770/4870 some competition in nvidia biased games.

Anything less than a 460 1GB or 5850 isnt enough improvement to be worth the money.

Nvidia games are in majority today and ofcourse it is true that a 9800gt will perform like a 4870 in nvidia games(majority)...I still can't believe that OC 9800gt can compete 5770.
m
0
l
September 14, 2010 4:44:54 AM

Your 9800 should be enough for your resolution.
m
0
l
September 14, 2010 10:48:37 AM

are you happy with your system? the overclocked 9800gt should be great for 1280x1024, the only thing you could miss is directx11 stuff like tesselation. maybe you should wait for more dx11 games and by then there will be better cards for the money.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 14, 2010 3:50:18 PM

ATi RaDEoN said:
Nvidia games are in majority today and ofcourse it is true that a 9800gt will perform like a 4870 in nvidia games(majority)...I still can't believe that OC 9800gt can compete 5770.
A 4870 gives virtually identical performance to a 5770.
m
0
l
September 15, 2010 11:59:45 AM

dndhatcher said:
A 4870 gives virtually identical performance to a 5770.

Thanks, I am happy
m
0
l
September 15, 2010 12:00:33 PM

infernox_01 said:
are you happy with your system? the overclocked 9800gt should be great for 1280x1024, the only thing you could miss is directx11 stuff like tesselation. maybe you should wait for more dx11 games and by then there will be better cards for the money.

I am happy with my system
m
0
l
September 18, 2010 3:48:53 PM

gordon_81 said:
he should be able to run the gtx 460 on that psu, a 9800gt is more power hungry than a gtx 460


No it isn't, a 9800GT uses less than 120w (an 8800GT was measured by THG @111.2w) and a GTX460 can suck around the 160w mark.
m
0
l
!