How much longer will my PSU last?

recover

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
Hi guys,

I am considering a new build. It's been 5.5 years since I build my first/current pc and I am curious about what components I can re-use. I have a 430-480W OZC PSU that seems to be just fine. I am looking to build a budget gaming machine so I think my current PSU wattage should be fine for what I am considering (5770/i3/4GB).

Can I expect a couple more years out of my PSU or is that pushing it? What risks am I running by not replacing it with my new build?

I understand this is a pretty subjective question since no one can predict when components will fail. I am more or less looking for someone to tell me that its either 'No big deal' or 'Stupid' to use my old PSU.

I have been "out of the game" for a while now so I am trying to get up to speed...geez it feels much more complicated nowadays!

Thanks for your time!

Solution

I've accidentally kneed my power strip while playing a game... my rig is fine... 'cept for a little data loss... but you shouldn't get in the habit of unplugging your rig... I think the only risk here is if it gives out and overvolts your components, but I don't think that's very likely. Good luck!

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
If it's 480w then you should be able to run a system like the one you mentioned... If not, then you should grab a new one... I'm assuming you meant OCZ instead of OZC seeing as I've never heard of OZC. I believe OCZ makes good stuff though.

The only psu I've had stop working did just that, it shut down and wouldn't turn on.

I hear stories of them taking out other components with them but I think that is usually with poor quality units.

I think you'll be ok with the OCZ.

Martin 71

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010

I've accidentally kneed my power strip while playing a game... my rig is fine... 'cept for a little data loss... but you shouldn't get in the habit of unplugging your rig... I think the only risk here is if it gives out and overvolts your components, but I don't think that's very likely. Good luck!

Solution