What goes with a 460GTX

ZedLXI

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
So I've just bought a 1GB MSI GTX 460 Cyclone to upgrade my old rig, but I know everything else is out dated too. So I need to know what to get to remove the bottle neck. With the now replaced GTS 8800 I had:

CPU Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz E6600
Motherboard ASUS P5B Deluxe
Memory 4GB OCZ Platinum 1066MHz DDR2
PSU Cooler Master Real Power 550w

I'm planning to eventually have a second GTX 460 so I need a motherboard that's SLI capable. The other factor, with the motherboard, is I've got a lovely 5.1 Rig I can't use to full effect at the mo, so I'd like to be able to output 5.1 from an optical out. But it's not a necessity. CPU wise I've been looking at the AMD phenom II x4 955 but otherwise I'm stumped. I don't really have a price range at the mo as I thought everything else would come together round the GPU but I don't want to stretch it too far. So if anything is reusable I'd like to hang on to it for a while at least. Maybe the PSU and RAM.

ZedLXI

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Some more info.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: very soon

BUDGET RANGE: see previous post

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, watching movies, uni work

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, dvd drive, case, posably memory and PSU (see previous post)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: any

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: england

PARTS PREFERENCES: none

OVERCLOCKING: probably

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: yes. eventualy (see previous post)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1080

katiklysm

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010

Do not go with the AMD 955 Black (or AMD at all for that matter) if you are planning to SLI. They just do not play well together.

Intel i5 750 for a processor, and a P55 SLI supported motherboard- would be a great start.

ZedLXI

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
Not a bad idea but I have no experience with overclocking. If you could point me in the direction of guide to do it that'd be great. Also what do you mean by "decent" CPU cooler. Any suggestions there?

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

Not technically true.

If you want to SLI, you need an nVidia-based motherboard. They don't get as many reviews, and they aren't as fully-featured (no USB 3.0/SATA 6.0 Gb/s) as the newer AMD boards, but they do exist.

I think dndhatcher's advice above is probably the way to go ,though. Stick with the current system for a bit longer, and see what your options look like in 6 months to a year.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/259899-29-core-overclocking-guide

For CPU cooler, it depends on your case. If you have an 8inch or wider case then a $25-$45 120mm tower cooler is my favorite way to go (I can list several models if you can fit them). If you have case size or airflow concerns then there are a couple good 92mm coolers or factor sealed watercoolers (since they are sealed and a single unit they are as easy to install and safe as the air coolers).

ZedLXI

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
My case (an Antec P182) is 7.5" wide by my measure but 8.1" officially so I think I can squeeze in a tower cooler. What would you recommend?

The Antec 300 and 900 are also listed as 8.1 inches by antec and will fit 120mm coolers.

Kingwin 1264 ($25)
Coolermaster Hyper 212 plus ($30)
Scythe Mugen 2 SCMG-2100 ($40)
Xigmatek Balder or Dark Knight ($45)

You have a nice quiet case; any of these large fans running at low speed should get you a decent overclock without excessive noise.