Full Widescreen DVD Movies Please !

alehoff

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009
Hi everyone

I bougth a WIDESCREEN monitor (SAMSUNG P2370) in order to watch DVD MOVIES in widescreen format.
The navite resolution is 1080p. (HD4870) and i´m currently on zone 4.

The point is that NONE movie use all the screen. Always remain black sectors on the top and bottom.
I tried all definitions allowed by the monitor and several DVD PLAYERS with the same results.

If I play a 16:9 MOVIE on a 16:9 MONITOR...

¿¿¿¿¿Why doesn`t work in FULL SCREEN???????

When activate format or zoom options on diferent players,
they cut the image or the subtitles doesn`t fit in anymore.

It`s the same thing with other movie formats (2:35:1 - 1:85:1 - 1:78:1)

THANKS A LOT FOT THE HELP :wahoo:

Solution
the person who says only full HD video supports 16:9 is a moron....any resolution video can be in 16:9.....aspect ration is independent of resolution

the reson you see bars is as jaguar says above, most movies are not in the 16:9 aspect ratio....most movies (as he stated) are in fact shot in a much narrower ratio.....hence even 16:9 monitors are not narrow enough.....

HD television is GENERALLY shot in 16:9....and will be full screen....but most movies, regardless if they are 480, 780 or 1080, dvd or bluray or whatever will still be narrower than the monitor
Only 16:9 movies will fill the entire screen.

Other movie formats like 2.35:1, 2.4:1, etc... will result in black borders simply because they are not 1920 x 1080 resolution. Perhaps the 16:9 movies you have are simply formatted to play on a wide screen monitor/TV; meaning the actual resolution is not 1920 x 1080.

DVDs typically store movies in 720x480 format regardless of the original aspect ratio. When played back the correct aspect ratio is applied and it looks correct on your monitor/TV. For DVDs, 16:9 aspect ratio actually results in 720 x 405 resolution. However, the resolution must end with an even number and (depending on the player) might need to be divisible by 8. Therefore, the 16:9 DVD movie may be displayed as 720 x 400.

To stretch the DVD movie to fit a 1920 x 1080 screen, the DVD movie must be increased by 266.67%. 720 x 2.6666667 = 1920. However, 400 x 2.666667 = 1067.

Again, the resolution must end with an even number and may also be required to be divided by 8. Apply some math and you end up with something slightly smaller than 1920 x 1080 which results in black borders.

If it fills the full width of a 16:9 monitor but there are still bars on the top and bottom then what you are looking at simply cannot be 16:9 video. Unless there are black bars on the sides as well then the movie you are looking at is using an even wider aspect ratio.

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
the person who says only full HD video supports 16:9 is a moron....any resolution video can be in 16:9.....aspect ration is independent of resolution

the reson you see bars is as jaguar says above, most movies are not in the 16:9 aspect ratio....most movies (as he stated) are in fact shot in a much narrower ratio.....hence even 16:9 monitors are not narrow enough.....

HD television is GENERALLY shot in 16:9....and will be full screen....but most movies, regardless if they are 480, 780 or 1080, dvd or bluray or whatever will still be narrower than the monitor

Solution

alehoff

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2009

If i get this right
you`re saying that i will not solve the problem even with blue ray definitions?
Should i buy 16:9 movies from now on in order to achieve the best results?

Thanks again :wahoo:

If you really need the picture to fill your whole screen then yes, only 16:9 movies will do so. On other video you can actually have your player stretch the picture to fill the screen if you really want but the image will be slightly distorted(people will be taller/skinnier than they should be.)

Don't worry about getting only certain movies, there is no "best result" here. If the image at it's standard resolution does not fit on your TV, then that's what it is. If you really want the "best" solution, get a screen and a projector.