Sign in with
Your question

Too much thermopaste

Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2010 3:59:44 PM

Let me start by saying I am a beginner and I'm learning as I go. I bought a asus sabertooth motherboard with a I7 950
scout case by coolermaster and the V-8 cooler. Well I bought the arctic silver paste and applied the hole tube!! Oops!! How can I fix this. I'm still in the middle of this build. I haven't connected power to it yet. That's another problem I'm having. Can I just wipe off the excess paste and move on? I would hate to have to order another tube.

More about : thermopaste

December 2, 2010 4:03:51 PM

before putting the heat sink on, the right way is to put thermal paste equivalent to volume of 3 rice flakes and with a credit card like card, spread it and make sure an even layer is formed. make sure the paste stays on the upper shiny surface of the CPU and does not get flowing all over the place on the pins.

I am guessing now that you have the entire tube on there, some of it must be on the pins. Very carefully wipe the extra paste off - you can keep some aside to reuse. Wipe the heat sink surface that attaches the CPU clean and then reassemble.

You really need little thermal paste, just enough to cover the shiny surface of CPU with a thin uniform layer.

make sure you touch a metal before touching the bare CPU...
m
l
December 2, 2010 4:14:06 PM

If paste is on the pins will that damage the CPU?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 4:32:14 PM

Whole tube, lol, no offense but were you drunk? I believe arctic silver is electrically conductive, your first concern should be getting all the paste off the mobo, chip and anything else you got it on. Use dust free rags, or q-tips with high purity alcohol. I wouldn't reuse the paste, once it get on other things it is dirty, it might not look it but it is.

You can grab some paste at a Radio Shack, or Microcenter if there's one around, as well as many e-stores on the cheap.

There plenty of guides out there as too the proper Thermal paste guide for just about every cooler out there. I recommend reading up on it after you make sure all the paste is off the parts. Make sure you do a really good job getting all the paste off.
m
l
December 2, 2010 7:06:15 PM

He hasn't powered the system on at all - I don't think reusing a little bit of paste is objectionable, until someone has a theory about this.

@dipankar2007ind - Silver based compound has some degree of conductivity. I also read somewhere that it may be slightly capacitive. I agree that it will cause connection issues.

I also suggest wiping the whole area with isopropyl alcohol like substance it will take care of everything in a jiffy.

Do yourself a favor and don't power up the system until the whole thing looks like it's never been there. And wear rubber gloves please. That thing sticks to your hands like anything.

On a side note, beanoslim's personal message followed by his rank and photo cracked me up. :) )
m
l
December 3, 2010 2:20:18 PM

ok i got all the thermo paste off, (i used like 100 q-tips and about a hour, but it did the job) i didnt use alcohol, im guessing that would have been alot faster. I didnt see any paste on the mother board and got all that i could see. alittle got on the board when i took the heat sink off but i took care of that. Im crossing my fingers and thanks for all of your help. Im sure this is just the beginning of the stupid *** i will be doing!
m
l
April 28, 2011 8:39:36 AM

Hi im having this trouble also ,im wonder if Arctic Silver ACN-60ML (2-PC-SET) Thermal material Remover & Surface Purifier can go on the Motherboard cause i got some on the motherboard cpu tray
m
l
a b à CPUs
April 28, 2011 10:00:54 AM

dapayne88 said:
ok i got all the thermo paste off, (i used like 100 q-tips and about a hour, but it did the job) i didnt use alcohol, im guessing that would have been alot faster. I didnt see any paste on the mother board and got all that i could see. alittle got on the board when i took the heat sink off but i took care of that. Im crossing my fingers and thanks for all of your help. Im sure this is just the beginning of the stupid *** i will be doing!

As long as you're not afraid to ask before doing something, I see no reason for messing up any further. I started building PC's when I was very young, and screwed up many, many old setups before I got some help from people who knew more than I did. The golden rule is to ask - you'll be glad you did, opposed to sad you didn't when your $500 CPU & motherboard combo lets go of the magic smoke...
m
l
!