Sign in with
Your question

Athlon ii X3 to a Phenom ii X4 upgrade

Last response: in CPUs
December 2, 2010 4:02:16 PM

Hi, I am looking to upgrade my CPU from an Athlon ii x3 440, to a Phenom ii x4 965 BE my bios does not support the unlocking of the 4th core on the athlon, and this is why I am upgrading, will this work? or is it recommended?

More about : athlon phenom upgrade

a c 81 à CPUs
December 2, 2010 4:23:24 PM

Any particular reason for thinking about going for this upgrade??
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 4:36:19 PM

^ Yes the three core should be adequate for most things why the upgrade?
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 5:00:04 PM

Not if you use the computer primarily for gaming. That Athlon II X3 is just fine for that. I would save up until the most powerful X6 is out. You won't see much difference in gaming from the Phenom II. I have a Phenom II X4 940 and I only got that because at the time, the Athlon II didn't exist and the Phenom I was known to have problems and was outgunned by the Core2Duo. The Phenom II X4 stood toe to toe with the Core2Quad and was much less expensive. Stick with the Athlon II for now. I think that the upgrade you're suggesting would be a waste.
m
l
December 2, 2010 5:01:05 PM

well, the reason is because i want to get better performance on gaming, and I dont want to build a high end gaming rig, so I figured with a upgrade to the processor, my gts 460 would be more efficient and there would be no hold backs due to a slow processor.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2010 5:04:16 PM

That triple core is fine for gaming. You really wont notice a difference with the quad unless it's clocked higher.
m
l
a c 81 à CPUs
December 2, 2010 5:08:08 PM

Instead of spending on the processor, you can get a good aftermarket cooler for your X3 and overclock it to some decent numbers..
m
l
December 2, 2010 5:08:51 PM

i was gonna get a good heatsink, and overclock it from the stock 3,4ghz, to around 3.6 or a bit more, whatever i can get out of it without running too hot, currently i am sitting at 3.0 ghz with my athlon ii x3 cpu.
m
l
December 2, 2010 5:14:58 PM

thanks for the advice, i think i will wait a bit to do the 6 core upgrade, my motherboard will support it.
m
l
a c 105 à CPUs
December 3, 2010 8:08:18 PM

ibustnuts said:
Hi, I am looking to upgrade my CPU from an Athlon ii x3 440, to a Phenom ii x4 965 BE my bios does not support the unlocking of the 4th core on the athlon, and this is why I am upgrading, will this work? or is it recommended?

i have an athlon II x3 OC to 3.5 in one PC and a Phenom II x4 OC to 3.6ghz in another. there is not a major jump between the two. I would wait for better performance quads to come out from AMD (phenom III??) if I where you.
m
l
!