No power up with CPU 8 pin plugged in.

lucky_13_

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Hi,

I built my pc about 3 weeks ago, everythings been working fine. Yesterday I changed the thermal paste on the GPU and reinstalled the card. It worked fine for 30 mins and even did a benchmark. After that I had no load on anything and it turned itself off and failed to power up again.

I pressed the on switch which is located on the motherboard and still no power. The only way I can power the system is if I remove the CPU 8-pin plug. I have tried everything I can think of for the moment right up to breadboarding the motherboard with no GPU or hdds plugged in. Also run on one stick of ram. Nothing has worked.

I have also multi metered the PSU and everything seems fine (+12v across each pair on the CPU plug, and a variety of voltages on the 24 pin plug).

The cpu and the gpu were overclocked at the time, temperatures were normal and volts were within specs.

MB: Asus P67P8 Evo
Ram: G. Skill 2133mhz 2x4gb
CPU: i5 2500k
G Card: XFX 6950 2gb
PSU: Seasonic 650km X series

lucky_13_

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I thought of that. I tried with the stock heatsink and even with no heat sink just to see if I could get power but I got nothing. I'm thinking the motherboard is fried so I'm going to contact asus and see what they say.