how to run a small LAN party

Last response: in Video Games
August 23, 2005 8:51:45 AM

I've been playing UT for about a year,
first as a retail version,
and now I usually play online with the Valve/Steam version.

I'd like to have a few guys over to play on my network using my other
laptops,
but what do I need to install on the other laptops
so we can all play each other on my LAN.

More about : run small lan party

August 23, 2005 11:38:06 AM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:51:45 GMT, a confused delusional person called
"Phil Schuman" <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:

>I've been playing UT for about a year,
>first as a retail version,
>and now I usually play online with the Valve/Steam version.

Wow, Valve bought the rights to UT and ported it to the Source engine?
I am amazed I missed that one!
August 23, 2005 5:07:03 PM

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:51:45 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
<pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:

>I've been playing UT for about a year,
>first as a retail version,
>and now I usually play online with the Valve/Steam version.

????

UT is an Epic title that has nothing to do with either Valve or Steam.
August 24, 2005 2:14:02 AM

Am Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:51:45 GMT schrieb Phil Schuman:

> I've been playing UT for about a year,
> first as a retail version,
> and now I usually play online with the Valve/Steam version.
>
> I'd like to have a few guys over to play on my network using my other
> laptops,
> but what do I need to install on the other laptops
> so we can all play each other on my LAN.

Hm, UT and Valve? Might be a prob to get this running. Wrong group here?
Did u mean Halflife? This is Valve. UT is different.

HTH
Anonymous
August 24, 2005 2:14:03 AM

"Michael Weber" <mweber55@hotbox.ru> wrote in message
> Am Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:51:45 GMT schrieb Phil Schuman:
>
>> I've been playing UT for about a year,
>> first as a retail version,
>> and now I usually play online with the Valve/Steam version.
>>
>> I'd like to have a few guys over to play on my network using my other
>> laptops,
>> but what do I need to install on the other laptops
>> so we can all play each other on my LAN.
>
> Hm, UT and Valve? Might be a prob to get this running. Wrong group here?
> Did u mean Halflife? This is Valve. UT is different.
>
> HTH

Doesn't bode too well for getting the problem fixed, does it?
Anonymous
August 25, 2005 7:12:29 AM

"Michael Weber" <mweber55@hotbox.ru> wrote in message
> Am Tue, 23 Aug 2005 04:51:45 GMT schrieb Phil Schuman:
>
> > I've been playing UT for about a year,
> > first as a retail version,
> > and now I usually play online with the Valve/Steam version.
> >
> > I'd like to have a few guys over to play on my network using my other
> > laptops,
> > but what do I need to install on the other laptops
> > so we can all play each other on my LAN.
>
> Hm, UT and Valve? Might be a prob to get this running. Wrong group here?
> Did u mean Halflife? This is Valve. UT is different.
>
> HTH

yeah - sorry, wrong group -
I was doing some research on the 3 games I have - for a LAN party -
Battlefield Vietnam, Condition Zero, and UT -
August 25, 2005 7:23:39 PM

"Phil Schuman" <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote in message
> I've been playing UT for about a year,
> first as a retail version,
> and now I usually play online with the Valve/Steam version.
>
> I'd like to have a few guys over to play on my network using my other
> laptops,
> but what do I need to install on the other laptops
> so we can all play each other on my LAN.

Solution 1: LAN play
Computer A is setup as game server . A HUB or SWITCH is need. All other
computers are wired to HUB or SWITCH and connect to IP of Computer A. I
recommend a SWITCH but a HUB will still work fine.

Solution 2: Connecting to a Remote server over the internet
DSL/Cable modem connected to router WAN port. Router LAN port connect to
HUB or SWITCH. All computers are wired to HUB or SWITCH, connect to remote
game server.

These 2 solutions should work for just about any server/client based games
out that you can setup or play on your computer. I'm sure I may have missed
something, but trial and error all ways works too.
!