Solved

Cant fully access old windows xp boot HD as slave in new Windows 7 PC

Hello, I recently build a new computer with a lot of help from this community (thanks again). I used an SSD for the boot drive and I added a 3tb drive for storage. I temporarily installed the hard drive I booted Windows XP from on my old PC so I could transfer files over to the 3tb drive but I did not have access to most of the files. The drive was basically full and it shows in the windows 7 machine as barely having any data. I'm guessing the data to my profile is locked away and I need some permission setting because the drive was not failing.

If you know what to do I would really appreciate a hint, thanks!
4 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about cant fully access windows boot slave windows
  1. Best answer
    You will need to go to the root of the drive that contained the data, then go to security > advanced tab and take over ownership of the drive and it's subfolders/files. After doing this, you should see all the files.
  2. Thank you I'll try this tonight or tomorrow and post back.
  3. It worked until I restarted and then I was locked out again. Any ideas? that was a very long process. It took my pc about 2 hours to change the way each file was assigned.
  4. You can click on the actual folder, and check the box to include all sub-folders for that action. It does it all in 1 click - however, it could take a while to update all the file attributes.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives Windows XP Storage