External Hard Drive Problem

krlo88

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hi,

I am having a problem with my External Hard Drive.
A few hours before this happened my external hard drive is fine, I was even watching a series out of it.
Then I had to leave the house and when I returned home my hard drive is already having problems.

It says that I need to format my hard drive, I have tons of data on it and I do not want to format it without recovering the data.

I tried to safely remove it but it did not work, so I turned off my computer and unplugged the hard drive.
But when I turned my computer back on and plugged my hard drive, the problem still persists.

I have searched the net for some answers to no avail.

I have tried to following answers
- CHKDSK in CMD (This resulted into a failure since it said that my HDD is in RAW Format)
- Disk Management (It displays the HDD but I could not change the letter)
- EASUS (It does not show my HDD)

Please Help! I need help! :(

BTW: My HDD is WD My Passport

You should never trust one hard drive for storage of your data, you should have backup copies on at least one other drive. I have four external hard drives to store identical copies of my data after learning a valuable lessen the hard way several years ago.

The fact is that all hard drives fail eventually, and when they do the data cannot be accessed except by using the services of data-rescue company who charge a small fortune.

Test the drive with "WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic" from here: http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/12628/