890FXA-GD65 Random Freeze up

zedhead

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
1 month old build. I've been getting random freeze ups. Somtimes it'll freeze withing 30 secs of Windows 7 Pro64 finishing its start. Other times (like this AM) I can go for hours without it hanging. I've updated drivers on EVERY piece of hardware. And the latest Bios (18.3) from MSI.
Just happened again while trying to edit this post. GRRRRR
I was going to mention that I'm running Win7pro Svc Pack 1 with all automatic updates installed, Mem timings auto config by bios confirmed.

MSI 890FXA-GD65
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition
G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB)
Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB SATA 6.0Gb/s
MSI R6850 Cyclone PE
PC Power and Cooling Silencer Mk II 650W
Logitech G9x
Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4
Antec 300
Running Windows 7 Pro 64

Welcome to Tom's Forums! :)

Q - which version of G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB); one isn't compatible with AMD.

It could be a lot of things, the best place to start is to examine the Event Manager and the listed Critical errors as shown below.

Otherwise Kernel errors without explanation suggests 'Hardware' problems.

edit: my error too early I was thing 990FX.[strike]I noted MSI is listing the older drivers -> ATI System Drivers for 7xx/8xx/SB7xx/SB8xx Series (except RS690, 740)/2010-04-20 This might be part of the problems until MSI tests/posts the updated drivers - part of being an 'early adopter.'
Currently ASUS is the only MOBO Mfg {GA & MSI aren't up to date} posting the '9xx' drivers e.g. AMD Chipset Driver V3.0.812.0 for Windows 64bit XP & 64bit Vista & 64bit 7.(WHQL)/2011.05.26 update [/strike]

Event Manager Windows 7:
Event_Manager.jpg

zedhead

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
The only Critical Event listed is

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 7/30/2011 6:55:50 AM
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: rtribby-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.

This is the 3rd set of Mem I've tried. The Gskill is listed on MSI's compatibility list.

Q - None the less please link the 'G.SKILL Sniper' installed.
Q - Any OC?

A freeze will generate a log "I've been getting random freeze ups" ; in contrast a sudden shutdown Event ID: 41/Kernel errors.

The best way to Windows out of the equation is run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic and reboot. However, based upon what you've stated it doesn't appear to be an OS or App issue.

Otherwise you're looking at a full breadboard. If your PSU is bad, new or not, it can also cause a sudden shutdown.

zedhead

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
The unclean shut down is prolly because of the fact that the only way out of the freeze up is to use the reset button. I've tried using a PS2 keyboard, with no responce during the freeze.

G.SKILL Sniper Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR It is listed as tested OK as per the MSI website.

I suspect the dreaded USB controller problem that this board has been notorious for. But most that have reported the problem, seem to be OK after the BIOS update.

The PSU was burned in on My old setup. I ran it for a month or so after, with no problems.

I was concerned about the 1.25v '8GBSR2' which are NOT AMD compatible.

If you're having 'freezes' while in the BIOS then you might brick the MOBO. If not then I do recommend updating the BIOS 'from' the BIOS.

Since you have a PS/2 keyboard try pulling the USB headers off the MOBO - I was a little confused about your statement " I've tried using a PS2 keyboard, with no responce during the freeze. and if that corrected the problem then yep you have either a USB 'issue' or bad USB Keyboard/Mouse.

If the problem persists then do a Breadboard, IF your HSF has a metal backplate with no conductive insulation e.g. plastic washers then: Screw -> | Backplate | Plastic Washer | [MOBO] | etc...

zedhead

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I haven't had any problems while in the BIOS.
Mem test reports no problems.

I never thought about the HSF. It is jsut a snap in model. It 'should' be grounded to the case?

No OC as of yet. Been waiting to get this prob ironed out

Q - What HSF?

Anytime I build the build is tested on a bench first, Tested & Benched, then installed in the Case. If you're not on water by the time you posted here {forum} to now all of this could have been done a several times over.

You can try Lazyman's Breadboard -
* Disconnect ALL Front Panel & USB Headers ; keep only the PWR & Ground <best> short w/wire.
* Disconnect ALL peripherals including the Keyboard/Mouse
* (1) Stick of RAM in the second DIMM slot from CPU
* Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws

Pull the MOBO away from anything conductive and supported by a towel ; short PWR & Ground to start.

zedhead

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Well then. I'll be busy

Gotta go up the Shore for a little family picnic this afternoon. Prolly get to it tomarrow. I'll post any reuslts then.

Thanks for all Your suggestions/help

zedhead

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
I havent gotten to the breadboard yet. While We were up the Shore, My Wife bought an antique Bedroom Set. I spent most of the day going after it and getting it setup.

zedhead

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2011
Well, I got to the breadboard. With No changes. It still Froze. So I swapped in an old Sata II HDD with XP Pro loaded on it. It works better, but still randomly freezes. Not nearly as often, but still freezes.

I'm thinking it's time to RMA this MB. Leaning towards a baaad Sata/USB control setup on the Nbridge?

howard69

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2011
i've also had this problem with an MSI 785 mobo build which is used for a dedicated security system server here.... we get random freezes or hangs like your system has.
no log or message about a hard event can be found and the
Windows check to see if a solution thing doesn't help.
we have spec memory a full 16GB installed.

you made or someone made a comment about USB keyboards
or and mouses.

that might be a key... ours uses these.
based on this, i'm going to get a PS port keyboard and mouse
and try them instead of the USB port equipment.
just might help.
ty