Sign in with
Your question

Formatting without windows

Last response: in Storage
December 20, 2012 3:07:56 PM

So I just bought windows 8 pro and am now going to install it. I get a message saying that I need to format my HDD. I cannot take it out and connect it to another system to format it unless it is absolutely necessary, so is there any way to format it through the bios (Gigabyte 970a DS3 v1.4)?

the drive is sata, 500gb, western digital, 7200 RPM

More about : formatting windows

a b G Storage
December 20, 2012 3:21:07 PM

you can format the hard drive using windows installer. once you boot from the windows cd go to advanced options and you will have an option to format
a b G Storage
December 20, 2012 3:25:09 PM

Windows 8 will format it for you. no need to remove it.
Related resources
December 20, 2012 3:55:24 PM

I tried that the first time, and it said it had no drivers. I just now came back form taking it out and going to friend's house to have it formatted on their comp. forgot he was in town.
December 20, 2012 3:57:51 PM

it says I need a driver.
December 20, 2012 4:05:12 PM

Support site has all the win 8 drivers, i have no clue what it would need before installation of the os.
December 20, 2012 4:07:19 PM

Okay, so the real problem is that it cannot find a drive to install win 8 on. however, it does recognize the existence of the drive after I start looking for drivers.
December 20, 2012 5:38:56 PM

All I needed to do was assign a letter to the drive. used these steps:

Boot into the Windows 8 DVD, select Repair My Computer on second screen, then in Recovery Tools open a Command Line and type:

DISKPART
LIST DISK
SELECT DISK # (for target disk)
clean all ("all" zeroes the drive, much fuller format)
create partition primary
select partition 1
assign letter=c:
active
format
exit
!