Sign in with
Your question
Closed

5870 vs 460 SLI for WoW

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 4, 2010 5:45:01 AM

Not long ago I asked about the scaling regarding SLI on a p55 board (with the second PCIe slot limited to x8). While I received some informative answers and narrowed down my options, I've been reading quite a bit and am still puzzled as to what route is best. So I'm going to ask outright, which option is best overall? 5870 vs 460 SLI?

I use my computer mostly to play WoW, though it's noteworthy to say that I like to have multiple things running in the background and want to max out every single setting to the best possible graphics and still get solid framerates save perhaps in Dalaran. (looking for 60fps in a 25man raid and still remain stable in crowded areas) I currently have a Radeon HD 5770 and it's just not cutting it. I also want to play Starcraft 2 and eventually The Old Republic.

Looking to spend around $400 on the card(s), and I'm deciding between an XFX HD 5870 ($400 at Microcenter) or getting dual Gigabyte 1gb GTX460 and OC'ing them (~$460 on newegg). To my understanding the GTX460 SLI setup has great scaling and completely beats the HD5870 90% of the time when it comes to performance.

However, I've also heard however that WoW doesn't like SLI and wont perform any better with two cards than it will with one. Essentially meaning that for WoW it comes down to 1 GTX 460 vs 1 HD5870 which case the radeon wins. All info is appreciated. Bear in mind this is to max all settings for hte best possible graphics, I realize how processor intensive WoW is which is why I plan to OC my CPU as well.

System: Core i7 860, 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 PC12800, Intel DP55WG mobo, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 650W Antec Earthwatts PSU. With the new card I'm also adding an OCZ Agility 2 as a boot drive and a new cooler to OC the CPU.

More about : 5870 460 sli wow

a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 5:51:45 AM

I'm not sure about WoW, but if what you've heard is true then I would go for a 5870.
Score
August 4, 2010 6:13:25 AM

Actually, your system is massively powerful for WoW. However, the "lag" you're experiencing while raiding is caused by two things, one is on your internet connection, and the second is the sudden appearance of low quality but huge amounts of polygons. This is primarily the reason SLI/CF rigs aren't suggested on WoW as the sudden loading of data "lag" more because it will need to feed/show data to two video cards.

I suggest the fastest single card configuration, like the 5870, of the GTX470.

For a more balanced system I would actually suggest getting another 4GB of RAM. As you seem to have been using two of at least three slots of your RAM. Using three RAM sticks for DDR3 RAM shows the fastest memory access.

The best upgrade for your system is to actually get two SSD harddrives and then RAID them. Because the slowest component that could cause "lag" in WoW is real time data access.
Score
Related resources
August 4, 2010 2:15:48 PM

World of Warcraft has had lots of known issues with SLI. If you are building this rig just for WoW, go with a single card.

I'd go with the single 5870
Score
August 4, 2010 4:03:13 PM

I agree with bertimus, if you are primarily building this rig to play wow then the single card solution would be the best, HD5870. Plus this would leave an extra PCIe slot empty so that you could get another HD5870 later and Crossfire them when the time comes that one HD5870 won't cut it anymore.

stridervm, I believe that the op is using a P55 mobo which only has 4 slots for ram, as opposed to 6 slots on X58 mobo's. Also, 8GB of Ram is more than enough for any current game on the market. The only reason to get more would be if he was into video editing and encoding.
Score
August 4, 2010 5:27:04 PM

chris1024 said:
Not long ago I asked about the scaling regarding SLI on a p55 board (with the second PCIe slot limited to x8). While I received some informative answers and narrowed down my options, I've been reading quite a bit and am still puzzled as to what route is best. So I'm going to ask outright, which option is best overall? 5870 vs 460 SLI?

I use my computer mostly to play WoW, though it's noteworthy to say that I like to have multiple things running in the background and want to max out every single setting to the best possible graphics and still get solid framerates save perhaps in Dalaran. (looking for 60fps in a 25man raid and still remain stable in crowded areas) I currently have a Radeon HD 5770 and it's just not cutting it. I also want to play Starcraft 2 and eventually The Old Republic.

Looking to spend around $400 on the card(s), and I'm deciding between an XFX HD 5870 ($400 at Microcenter) or getting dual Gigabyte 1gb GTX460 and OC'ing them (~$460 on newegg). To my understanding the GTX460 SLI setup has great scaling and completely beats the HD5870 90% of the time when it comes to performance.

However, I've also heard however that WoW doesn't like SLI and wont perform any better with two cards than it will with one. Essentially meaning that for WoW it comes down to 1 GTX 460 vs 1 HD5870 which case the radeon wins. All info is appreciated. Bear in mind this is to max all settings for hte best possible graphics, I realize how processor intensive WoW is which is why I plan to OC my CPU as well.

System: Core i7 860, 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 PC12800, Intel DP55WG mobo, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 650W Antec Earthwatts PSU. With the new card I'm also adding an OCZ Agility 2 as a boot drive and a new cooler to OC the CPU.

For WoW, GT8800 is good enough. single 460 already overkill if just for that game, 5870 overpriced. to get real good experience for wow, you may need upgrade your internet connection to improve the ping result. a good SSD will also help to reduce lag bit.
Score
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 19, 2010 3:18:49 PM

stridervm said:
For a more balanced system I would actually suggest getting another 4GB of RAM. As you seem to have been using two of at least three slots of your RAM. Using three RAM sticks for DDR3 RAM shows the fastest memory access.

The system is on the 1156 socket and is therefore dual channel memory, not triple channel like 1366.
Score
October 19, 2010 4:20:42 PM

chris1024 said:

from your system, i would have suggested getting another for 5770, however since wow has issues on sli, most likely it will also have issues with crossfire.

i guess you already know what u want. :) 
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2010 10:38:37 PM

I suggest upgrading your internet plan to the next fastest :o 

Like others have said, your card is already pretty good for WoW.
Score
a b U Graphics card
October 19, 2010 10:53:24 PM

This is an old thread that was bumped guys. ;) 
Score
a c 216 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 19, 2010 11:23:57 PM

And everyone underestimates the power WoW requires for "maxed" settings.

SLI/CF does work great in WoW, but the game is a cpu hog as well, so you'll need a fast cpu to make it worthwhile.

However, I think the reason people think WoW has issues with SLI/CF is because most people play this game in windowed mode, which does not work with SLI/CF. And just to be clear, no game supports SLI/CF in windowed mode.
Score
a c 271 U Graphics card
October 19, 2010 11:41:36 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!