Sign in with
Your question

Does windows 8 make SSD obsolete

Last response: in Storage
December 20, 2012 6:45:35 PM

I ask this because windows 8 starts very rapidly on an old hard drive and the main reason I bought an SSD was for boot-up speed. I reinstalled windows 8 on my SSD but honestly it booted so fast on my hard drive I don't really see the point of an SSD anymore, esp the high capacity SSDs. I use my storage for games, movies and music. Since most of the games I play today are online, the connection speed becomes much more important than program load times off the storage drive. I did a google search about this and couldn't find any articles or forum topics about this.
a b G Storage
December 20, 2012 7:41:07 PM

As fast as 8 loads an SSD will make it much faster. You decide if it's worth it....
m
l
a b G Storage
December 20, 2012 7:52:19 PM

So you see no difference in boot time between SSD and HHD, on W8?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
December 20, 2012 7:58:58 PM

doesnt matter what o/s or programs you are using, any time taken to access your hard disk, will be shorter with an ssd.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 20, 2012 8:20:23 PM

windows 8 uses a hybrid hibernation of the kernel so windows will start faster. i believe you can do something like 'shutdown -r -t 00' to do a full shutdown. so while windows 8 will boot up faster that isn't really what you want an ssd for. windows 8 still benefits from an ssd just like windows 7.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a b G Storage
December 20, 2012 8:35:51 PM

cletus_slackjawd said:
I ask this because windows 8 starts very rapidly on an old hard drive and the main reason I bought an SSD was for boot-up speed. I reinstalled windows 8 on my SSD but honestly it booted so fast on my hard drive I don't really see the point of an SSD anymore, esp the high capacity SSDs. I use my storage for games, movies and music. Since most of the games I play today are online, the connection speed becomes much more important than program load times off the storage drive. I did a google search about this and couldn't find any articles or forum topics about this.

Uhm... "wot"?

Since when is the only reason for an SSD boot-up speed? I like the fact that photoshop opens in less than a second now.

Also, just because you don't make use of the advantages does NOT mean that others don't either - I for one love having fast load screens in my mostly-singleplayer games.

Also, why does it matter? Unless you're just trying to start a flame war, I see no point to this.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
a c 89 G Storage
December 20, 2012 8:53:01 PM

As long as you move data from a HDD, you could be moving it faster with a SSD. The stuff that's moved(OS for instance) doesn't matter, it still has to come from the drive.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 20, 2012 8:54:20 PM

No. There is still a big difference in load time in games, programs and tasks such as virus scan.
m
l
!