Does windows 8 make SSD obsolete

I ask this because windows 8 starts very rapidly on an old hard drive and the main reason I bought an SSD was for boot-up speed. I reinstalled windows 8 on my SSD but honestly it booted so fast on my hard drive I don't really see the point of an SSD anymore, esp the high capacity SSDs. I use my storage for games, movies and music. Since most of the games I play today are online, the connection speed becomes much more important than program load times off the storage drive. I did a google search about this and couldn't find any articles or forum topics about this.
7 answers Last reply
More about does windows make obsolete
  1. As fast as 8 loads an SSD will make it much faster. You decide if it's worth it....
  2. So you see no difference in boot time between SSD and HHD, on W8?
  3. doesnt matter what o/s or programs you are using, any time taken to access your hard disk, will be shorter with an ssd.
  4. windows 8 uses a hybrid hibernation of the kernel so windows will start faster. i believe you can do something like 'shutdown -r -t 00' to do a full shutdown. so while windows 8 will boot up faster that isn't really what you want an ssd for. windows 8 still benefits from an ssd just like windows 7.
  5. cletus_slackjawd said:
    I ask this because windows 8 starts very rapidly on an old hard drive and the main reason I bought an SSD was for boot-up speed. I reinstalled windows 8 on my SSD but honestly it booted so fast on my hard drive I don't really see the point of an SSD anymore, esp the high capacity SSDs. I use my storage for games, movies and music. Since most of the games I play today are online, the connection speed becomes much more important than program load times off the storage drive. I did a google search about this and couldn't find any articles or forum topics about this.

Uhm... "wot"?

Since when is the only reason for an SSD boot-up speed? I like the fact that photoshop opens in less than a second now.

Also, just because you don't make use of the advantages does NOT mean that others don't either - I for one love having fast load screens in my mostly-singleplayer games.

Also, why does it matter? Unless you're just trying to start a flame war, I see no point to this.
  6. As long as you move data from a HDD, you could be moving it faster with a SSD. The stuff that's moved(OS for instance) doesn't matter, it still has to come from the drive.
  7. No. There is still a big difference in load time in games, programs and tasks such as virus scan.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Hard Drives Windows 8 Storage