QUESTION: Low Res. SONY CD vs NIKON 5400 CoolPix

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 3, 2005 9:57:48 AM

Taking pictures to use on a website....my Sony CD pictures taken in 640x
480 image size look good on the computer, e-mail well and look 4x6in
photos look good. (Low Resolution) Using my new Nikon 5400 with same low
resolution the same photos have a banding effect, a jagged edge effect.
Telephone wires look broken up. A Nikon photo with 76k looks worse than
a Sony CD with 64K. What is happening here? Why is the low resolution SO
different between the two??? What don't I know. Strictly an amateur.
Anonymous
January 3, 2005 9:57:49 AM

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 06:57:48 GMT, in rec.photo.digital ACP45
<sushipets@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Taking pictures to use on a website....my Sony CD pictures taken in 640x
>480 image size look good on the computer, e-mail well and look 4x6in
>photos look good. (Low Resolution) Using my new Nikon 5400 with same low
>resolution the same photos have a banding effect, a jagged edge effect.
>Telephone wires look broken up. A Nikon photo with 76k looks worse than
>a Sony CD with 64K. What is happening here? Why is the low resolution SO
>different between the two??? What don't I know. Strictly an amateur.

Sound like you have the Nikon set to too low a quality setting. Set it to
fine to get the lowest level of compression. The banding you are seeing is
a artifact of high compression.
See images taken with my CP-990/5700 & D70 at
http://EdwardGRuf.com
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 4:38:25 AM

In article <sushipets-160438.22574802012005@orngca-news02.socal.rr.com>,
sushipets@hotmail.com says...

>Taking pictures to use on a website....my Sony CD pictures taken in 640x
>480 image size look good on the computer, e-mail well and look 4x6in
>photos look good. (Low Resolution) Using my new Nikon 5400 with same low
>resolution the same photos have a banding effect, a jagged edge effect.
>Telephone wires look broken up. A Nikon photo with 76k looks worse than
>a Sony CD with 64K. What is happening here? Why is the low resolution SO
>different between the two??? What don't I know. Strictly an amateur.

Remember the camera takes the image at its highest resolution then down
samples. Most cameras don't do this very well, best to shoot at a high res then
downsample yourself in an image editor. Irfanview does this well. So does
Photoshop, but for downsampling Irfanview is a lot less money (infinitly less).

Tom
!