Sign in with
Your question

Gf8500gt broken?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 10:44:45 AM

My friend had an foxconn 8500gt. After he cleaned the card of dust, and put it back in the case, on some newer games the screen changes colors and the computer frezes. But, on older games like NFS Most Wanted and PES 2006 there aren't any problems. All other components are OK.

Also he told me that he compared his card to the same model and it doesn't have 2-3 minor parts, so i think ''those'' parts are causing the problem. Any suggestions? Can it be repaired?

More about : gf8500gt broken

a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 2:25:48 PM

Is the card's temperature normal (idle and load)? Maybe the heatsink got loose during the cleaning.
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 2:35:02 PM

you can't really compare cards of the same type and manufacturer unless they're the same revision level..as newer revissions will either have more features or less..there by having more or less compnents...
Seems to me that when you cleaned the card you may have displaced the heatsink(s) on either the GPU or a ram chip...or the fan has stopped working....
Please check the fan operation and then check your temps with GPUz or other temp monitoring programs..
Hope this helps.....JQ
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b U Graphics card
August 4, 2010 5:12:00 PM

OK i'll tell him to check GPU temps. Thanks:) 
August 5, 2010 12:16:11 PM

Those temps are ok.
a b U Graphics card
August 5, 2010 12:17:27 PM

exela said:
Those temps are ok.

And those 3 missing, small black parts? What about them? They're are in the upper right part, and are actually 5 parts, 3 missing.
a b U Graphics card
August 7, 2010 4:24:53 PM

If you're talkin about the 5 just above the large chip in your example picture....
These are transistors and are very important.... so if this card had been designed with 5 of these and 3 fell off it would not operate at all!
Your friends card operates fine and has decent temps except for a couple games freezing up the system...
Also your pic is of the "reference Nvidia" card most manufacturers change the component count alot based on how they design their boards.
a b U Graphics card
August 8, 2010 10:21:49 AM

johnnyq1233 said:
If you're talkin about the 5 just above the large chip in your example picture....
These are transistors and are very important.... so if this card had been designed with 5 of these and 3 fell off it would not operate at all!
Your friends card operates fine and has decent temps except for a couple games freezing up the system...
Also your pic is of the "reference Nvidia" card most manufacturers change the component count alot based on how they design their boards.

Damn card :D 

OK, thanks guys for the inputs. He already has a HD 3650 in his PC so he just wanted to get this card working right and then sell it, but it looks like he'll dump that idea and leave the card in the box:) 
!