Quick question about storing parts

JohnPCexe

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Hey, I'm going to RMA my motherboard due to a bunch of problems with it, but I'm wondering where I can keep my GPU, CPU, and RAM sticks in the meantime? In my case? I have a HAF 922 btw. Also, if I take the CPU off of the mobo, is it possible to take it out without removing the fan? I don't want to void my warrenty on my new i5 until I get another fan and some Arctic Silver thermal paste.

aberchonbie

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2008
safest way is to ground yourself with an antistatic wrist strap.

you don't have the antistatic bag(s) that came with GPU(s)?

CPU you will have to take off the heatsink since it's locked in the mobo socket underneath the heatsink.

You can store that in the box it came in. Same with RAM. I think you're being overprotective of the parts. Just ground yourself and then take out the parts. When you get your mobo back, ground yourself, install the mobo and then everything else!

The only way to remove the CPU is to remove the heatsink and fan. It doesn't void your warranty to install-uninstall-reinstall hardware BTW.

Just keep your parts away from kids, pets, etc until your replacement motherboard arrives.

Edit- sniped by aberchonbie 2s! /shakes fist

JohnPCexe

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Thanks for the help, but will I have to reapply the thermal paste? I have an anti-static wriststrap somewhere in my house, lost it on the day I finished building my PC, but it's somewhere around here.

itouchedyou

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
if you want the most out of your cooling you should reapply the paste. also, you dont need an anti-static wrist strap to ground yourself, just touch your power supply or any other metallic parts of your case. the chances of doing static damage to your components is very slim and it isn't that much of a hazard.

JohnPCexe

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2010
Actually I did shock my motherboard, that's why I'm sending it in and not trusting myself to touch any more parts without my wrist band, lol.

Anyways, back to the question. Can I keep my RAM, CPU, GPU, etc in my case and trust that they won't get damaged due to ESD? I'm cautious now because of my mobo being shocked.