tidus1230

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
Hey guys,

So I'm currently running Windows 7 on my Seagate 1TB Barracuda and I'm thinking of purchasing a 240GB Intel 520 SSD for OS, boot, games and apps. I plan on doing a fresh install of Windows 7 on my SSD and then transfer all my files to a external desktop drive and wiping my Seagate 1TB to start fresh. I've never had a computer with multiple drives and I'm wondering how it all works when I'm downloading and installing new applications. If I wanted to install a new application on my SSD and I had both drives plugged in, would it ask me where to install? Another question, I want to keep all my documents, pictures, music stored on my HDD but I would like it to be in the "My Documents", "My Pictures" etc. folders. Since the OS is on the SSD I'm assuming that I won't be able to do that, is there a way around it? Final question, if I keep all my music on my HDD, do I need to install iTunes on the HDD or would iTunes be able to retrieve music from another drive?

Sorry for the wall of text, I know this has probably been asked a thousand times but Google searches don't give me exactly what I'm looking for. Always been a lurker of the site but first time where I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Solution
Also, those names are semi-symbolic, it is just the default document location for the OS. You can set it to not show in the navigation pane, and then drag your "documents" folder from your HDD into it's place, you won't know the difference I assume.

chugot9218

Honorable
Most applications will either give you the option to select where to install, or have a custom installation option which will then let you choose the install location. I think you can change the location "Documents", "Music", etc... go to but I have not looked into it specifically. I added a folder there called Mozilla downloads that was on my HDD and just set mozilla to download there.

chugot9218

Honorable
Also, those names are semi-symbolic, it is just the default document location for the OS. You can set it to not show in the navigation pane, and then drag your "documents" folder from your HDD into it's place, you won't know the difference I assume.

Solution

tidus1230

Honorable
Dec 20, 2012
In regards to my first question, I should have known better. I guess I never really thought about it since I've only ever used one drive and always just hit the Next button when installing. Thank you for clearing me up on that.

So I was just fiddling with the folder settings after your post and realized that I could just create a new "Library" and include whatever folders I wanted so thank you for that idea!

Anybody have any clue about iTunes using music from another drive?

chugot9218

Honorable
Sorry, was out of town, I would have to take a look in Itunes and I do not have it installed on my PC at work, but I will take a look later if you like, I don't think ITunes cares where your music is, there may be a setting or location to change though.