Sign in with
Your question

Disk access delay windows 7 ASUS X58

Last response: in Motherboards
July 30, 2011 5:35:05 PM

Hello,
I have Asus X58 Sabertooth, 6G 1600 GSkill ram (on MB QVL list), I7 950 CPU, ASUS HD 6870 video card, with Windows 7 Pro 64bit. After the system has been running for an hour or so, I get several second delay when accessing the hard drives. Boot drive with WD Velociraptor 300G SATA II. Have tried the 450G SATA II, same problem. My original MB died (same model) with a BIOS checksum error and I thought that might have been the problem. Replaced with new MB, problem still there.I had a different video card when I first built the computer and thought that might be the problem. Put in a different card and drivers and problem still there. I have updated to the latest BIOS, all windows updates are current and all drivers are the newest available. The only things I have not swapped out is the memory and CPU. Have monitored temperatures with PC Probe and none ever go above 55C that I have seen, even when the problem is occurring. HELP Please
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a b $ Windows 7
a b U Graphics card
a c 716 V Motherboard
July 30, 2011 6:28:00 PM

Welcome to Toms Forum! :) 

HDD 'stuttering' can have a variety of root causes, so the most common are: AHCI after-the-fact, Intel Matrix driver, HDD firmware, CPU 100% load {freezes}, mixing ODD on the first 4 SATA2 ports in AHCI.

Q - What's on what SATA/Marvell ports?
Q - AHCI Enabled in BIOS?
Q - Marvell Enabled/used?
Q - BIOS Version - MOBO?
Q - Drivers - are they up to date? -> http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/SABE...
m
l
August 6, 2011 6:38:33 AM

jaquith said:
Welcome to Toms Forum! :) 

HDD 'stuttering' can have a variety of root causes, so the most common are: AHCI after-the-fact, Intel Matrix driver, HDD firmware, CPU 100% load {freezes}, mixing ODD on the first 4 SATA2 ports in AHCI.

Q - What's on what SATA/Marvell ports?
Q - AHCI Enabled in BIOS?
Q - Marvell Enabled/used?
Q - BIOS Version - MOBO?
Q - Drivers - are they up to date? -> http://usa.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/SABE...

It is not "stuttering". The application window that is accessing the disk goes to "not responding" in task manager. After 5 to 10 sec, it clears up and thing continue as if nothing had happened. There are no error in the Action Center. I had a WD 450 G Velociraptor (6 Mb) drive to start with on the Marvel port, only one. All the remaining drives are on the the SATA II ports, including an LG BluRay drive. After hearing that there might be problems with the Marvell adapter I ghosted the OS to the drive mentioned above that is attached to a SATA II port. Now the Marvell port are empty and disabled in BIOS. That did not help. As mentioned in my original post, I have the latest BIOS drivers available from ASUS. It makes no difference if the drives are set to ACHI or IDE Enhanced in the BIOS.

I am not familiar with what "mixing ODD" refers to.
m
l
August 8, 2011 6:58:28 PM

Since my last post, I found the problem. It was the Gamer OSD application that came with the video card. When I removed it, the problem ceased. I have no idea why this would cause a problem as I have it on other computers that do not exibit this problem. I found a reference to the Gamer OSD program causing disk problem like I experienced when reading at MB reviews on Newegg and decided to give it a try.
m
l
Related resources
!