Transferring Steam games to a new SSD

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012
So i just installed a new ssd (Crucial M4 256gb). Did a fresh Windows 7 install, etc. I plugged in the original HDD (WD 1TB) during Windows and it showed up as the F: drive. I have no clue how to transfer files over to the SSD. I tried dragging and dropping files onto the F: drive but that isn't working. I've just been doing fresh installs of key programs i need. Here's my big question: As far as Steam itself and Steam games go, do i have to basically re-install Steam on the SSD and re-install all the games? Or is there a way to copy them over from the HDD? I've done some research online but it seems there are different ways of doing it which confuses me. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Jeff. :wahoo:

Solution
install steam on ur ssd, do not run steam. go to the new installation folder, delete everything, copy your old steam folder (which includes all ur games) over to the new steam folder. run steam, let it update etc. this has not been tested but im pretty sure it will work. gl

bigbang

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2004
install steam on ur ssd, do not run steam. go to the new installation folder, delete everything, copy your old steam folder (which includes all ur games) over to the new steam folder. run steam, let it update etc. this has not been tested but im pretty sure it will work. gl

Solution

theultimateeye

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2012

This is similar to a response i got from another forum. I'm sure as hell hope it works because i'd hate to lose all my saved games.

Install Steam on your SSD -- your games are on Steam -- just download them -- you won´t lose a thing, mean you can continue from where you stopped the games.

This is what i'm going to try first. Thanks for the advice.