Sign in with
Your question

Z68X-UD4-B3 POST loop

Last response: in Motherboards
July 30, 2011 6:48:34 PM

Whenever I use the reset button to power the computer down, and often when I power it down normally it goes into a POST loop. Basically, it boots up, emits a POST beep, shows the BIOS screen then powers down and starts again. I have to so a full power-down, several times, before it will work.

i3 2100
G.Skill RAM
Windwos 7 64-bit
MSI 560Ti Hawk

More about : z68x ud4 post loop

a c 715 V Motherboard
July 30, 2011 7:20:20 PM

Welcome to Tom's Forum! :) 

First don't use the reset button unless you have a lock-up repeated use is the same as holding-in the power button either of which eventually corrupts the OS. It's best to shutdown the PC using Windows.

Q1 - Is there more than (1) BIOS Beep tone or does it have a pattern?
Q2 - What 'G.SKILL' RAM? Please provide a Part Number or better a link.

You might want to insert the Window 7 DVD, press F8 if needed, and run the Start-up repair -> http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/What-are-th...

Q3 - Did you make any changes in the BIOS?
Q4 - Is this a new problem or has it been happening for some time?
Q5 - Have you updated ALL of your drivers? {Don't use the CD/DVD in the box; all old} See -> http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3...
Q6 - In the Device Manager are there any {? or !} listed drivers?

You need to install Intel IRST {IntelĀ® Rapid Storage Technology} 10.5.0.1027 or above:
Intel download page -> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/default.aspx?lang=eng
IRST selected -> http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=...
July 30, 2011 7:33:49 PM

1 (Just the standard POST beep
2 8GB Kit (2 4gb sticks) RipjawsX 1600mhz
3. I updated the bios recently
4. It has been happening since I first made the PC (before I updated the bios)
5. Yep
6. No

It doesn't just happen using the reset switch, that is just the only 100% reproducable time I could find. It sometimes happens when booting down using power key, through windows etc.
Related resources
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 30, 2011 8:08:56 PM

Let's try a couple simple things:
A. Sometimes AHCI cause a corruption. Assuming BIOS defaults {AHCI} - Either manually change the 'Start' values in the registry -> 0 <or> Run Fix It -> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
B. Run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic and reboot a few times. Any changes?
C. Verify that the RAM is installed in the correct DIMM slots -> http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/P55_D...

Q7 - Are you using the stock HSF {CPU Fan}?

D. IF the problem persists the next step is to pull the USB Headers and all other USB peripherals to test the USB Hubs.

Q8 - In the Event Manager are there any Critical Errors listed?

Event Manger:
July 30, 2011 8:14:14 PM

I'm using the stoch heatsink fan, and I tried all of those (nothing worked). The RAM is in the correct DIMM slots, but there are three critical errors 'Kernel-Power' ID = 31, category is 63.
July 30, 2011 8:37:14 PM

Running a 650 brand new coolermaster GX. No other idea?
July 30, 2011 8:41:07 PM

When it boots up, it boots up perfectly, but it just sometimes gets stuck in this loop.
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 30, 2011 8:45:05 PM

I edited above, Memtest.

So there was no difference - Run MSCONFIG -> select Diagnostic and reboot a few times.

The next thing is to look for grounding shorts. Unscrew both the MOBO and PCIe screws, pull the MOBO away from I/O and anything conductive and supported by a towel - Test.

Q - WHAT have you done? It's a lot easier than me saying do this do that.......

Otherwise you're heading towards reformatting, full breadboard, and re-installing ONLY Windows and testing. The MSCONFIG alleviates most software conflicts.

Q -What AV {Anti-Virus} are you using?
July 30, 2011 10:11:59 PM

After some testing, I have found it to be basically a RAM issue, due to it crashing after the RAM tests in the post screens. I have a feeling it might be due to one or two haywire pins on the sockets, but I have no idea so....*sigh* back to testing.
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 30, 2011 10:23:57 PM

Try (1) stick at a time in the 2nd DIMM slot from the CPU. It's not too uncommon to have a bad stick.

If you post the EXACT RAM as I asked I can give you the BIOS settings. Also, you can try set XMP which will also set up to 2 sticks and correctly adjust the Frequency, CAS, and DRAM Voltage.
July 30, 2011 10:33:03 PM

It is
G.Skill RipJawsX F3-12800CL9D-8GBXD
DDR3-1500 PC3-12800 4GBx2
XMP CL9-9-9-24

That's pretty much everything it says about it lol
July 30, 2011 11:45:02 PM

After a stupid amount of testing, this is what I have found.

Everything works normally, unless the system was not powered down using windows i.e, shutdown before fully booted up or using reset switch. If that happens, then it goes into a loop, emitting the post beep, and starting the checks. It freezes after it displays the memory frequency, but before the hard drive initialisation would come on. Then it repeats this. This can be fixed by powering it off using the switch on the PSU (my PSU stays fully running after the PC has switched off). I have messed about with the RAM, and the same behaviour occurs, no matter which slot it is in, and what is installed.

Can someone please shed some light on this issue, I have NO idea what is doing it and its bugging the hell outta me.

Thanks
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 31, 2011 12:35:32 AM

I found this and noted your comment "I updated the bios recently " -> " DO NOT, i repeat, DO NOT upgrade to BIOS version F8. It will cause random reboots while the computer is powering on and starting up windows. F7 works like a charm."

Downgrade to BIOS F7.

"Otherwise you're heading towards reformatting, full breadboard, and re-installing ONLY Windows and testing. The MSCONFIG alleviates most software conflicts.
"

IF that fails then IMO replace the MOBO.
July 31, 2011 6:15:09 AM

*sigh* damn you gigabyte. Cheers for the answer - will test out fully in a bit
July 31, 2011 7:31:33 AM

Downgraded it, messed with the settings and boom - works like a charm. Thanks for that.
July 31, 2011 9:21:36 AM

I spoke too soon, it's doing it again ;/. Might be looking at a return on the motherboard and/or ram ;(
a c 715 V Motherboard
July 31, 2011 3:02:09 PM

Rule-out a S3/S4 issue; Gigabyte often 'also' has a sleep issue/causes corruption.

BIOS:
ACPI Suspend Type -> S1(POS)

Boot and sleep a few times then change it back.

BIOS:
ACPI Suspend Type -> S3(STR)

Boot and sleep a few times and see if the problem is corrected. Ideally you want Hybrid Sleep which is a S3/S4 state.

edit: in the past Gigabyte has had bad batches of P67 UD4/UD5 maybe it's the Z68's turn :( 
!