GTX 285 SLI issue - Causing games to crash.

jmack5864

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Hey guys,

I am having an issue with my new i7 rig. My system is :

Cooler Master HAF X Case
ASUS P6X58-E ATX Mobo
KINGWIN Lazer LZ-1000 1000W Modular 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified PSU
Intel i7 920 D0 overclocked to 4.0 GHz
Prolimatech Megahalem Rev. B CPU Cooler
Corsiar Dominator (3X2GB) 1600 @ 7-7-7-21 1N
BFG nVidia GTX 285 OC SLI X 2
Intel X25-M 80GB SSD Primary Boot Drive
WD Velociraptor 300GB HDD for Gaming
WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD for Storage
Window 7 Ultimate 64 bit

First of all, this is my first self buit PC. The problem I am having is that whenever I start a game (Crysis, The Witcher, Singularity, etc.) The game will start up fine and play the opening movies but whenever it get to the loading screen to load gameplay the game crashes to the desktop. Also, whenever I try to open up nTune or the nVidia monitor control my system crashes and I get a Blue screen.

This was also my first attempt at overclocking a CPU. As of right now I have my i7 920 OC'd to 4.0 GHz @ 1.35V. I have tried removing the OC and I still have these issues. I've ran Prime95 for 26 hours straight with my highest CPU temps being 79C. I've ran Memtest with no problems either. I also ran 3DMark Vantage Benchmark and noticed that my GPU score was low for a GTX 285 SLI X2 rig.

3DMark GPU Score: 13122

From what I've read online that score should be Approximately 22000 with two GTX 285's in SLI. I have downloaded the latest drivers (258.96 WHQL) from nVidia's website. I don't know what else to try.

Could it possibly be a bad GPU? Please let me know guys. I could really use your help.

Thanks

Solution
I would recommend that you should try uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers and EVERYTHING about Nvidia in your PC. Start by removing junk like nTune and Monitor Control, and remove everything else. Reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.com and not from a disc.

If the problem still pertains, remove one GTX 285 and see if it crashes; if it does, that card inserted is defective. Do the same with the other card. If it is only SLI crashing, try flashing your motherboard.

You should have a higher SLI score, so maybe one card isn't operating. Try doing what I said above.

reprotected

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I would recommend that you should try uninstalling and reinstalling your drivers and EVERYTHING about Nvidia in your PC. Start by removing junk like nTune and Monitor Control, and remove everything else. Reinstall the latest Nvidia drivers from Nvidia.com and not from a disc.

If the problem still pertains, remove one GTX 285 and see if it crashes; if it does, that card inserted is defective. Do the same with the other card. If it is only SLI crashing, try flashing your motherboard.

You should have a higher SLI score, so maybe one card isn't operating. Try doing what I said above.

Solution

jmack5864

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers and would still crash in games. Finally I tried removing one card and running each card as a single card. The first one I tried would crash on every game I tried, the second one performed like a champ. Guess I just have a bad card. I hope BFG still has some replacements for the GTX 285 on hand because I can't seem to find them anywhere online.

Thanks, for your help reprotected.