Question about setting up a new Hard Drive

J132

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
Hello all, I'd like some information on putting a new hard drive into my laptop.

My laptop's (Acer Aspire 5738Z) Hard Drive is starting to show signs of failure. It's been making some terrible noises (clicks as loud as if I were to flick the case with my finger), and it takes longer than it used to when loading files. I've decided I'd like to install an SSD (even if it's smaller in memory size, as that isn't an issue), as the performance boost would be most welcome. Therefore, what I'd like to know is, is it possible to just copy all the data (OS and drivers included) over to the new hard drive, and put it in, or will I have to re-install Windows and the drivers? I'm worried that if I do that, I'll lose the function of the hotkeys (volume level, and wi-fi on/off for a start). The laptop didn't come with a copy of windows, or even driver-discs, so I've no idea what I'd do if 'cloning' it doesn't work.

Help would be much appreciated guys, thank you. :)

jemm

Distinguished
As you have not an OS disk, then the best thing to do is to clone your HDD into the SSD -- usually SSDs manufacturers ship they products with a software that will allow you to clone your HHD to the SSD.