Crossfire on a P35-Neo2-FIR (x16, x4) for Starcraft 2. Need advice!

xiga

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
Hey guys!

Here's my setup:
MSI P35-Neo2-FIR Motherboard. It has 2 PCI-Express 1.0 slots, one is x16 the other is only x4.
Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 OC'ed to 3.4Ghz
4GB DDR2-800 RAM
ATI Radeon 4850 512MB
800W PSU
Windows Vista Ultimate x64

My system is rock solid, and although it's been nearly a couple of years now since i built it, it still handles most things really well. I should point out that i don't really game much on my PC, but the one big exception to this rule is Starcraft 2. I simply love it and will probably be playing it for years to come.

So, I'm going to be playing a lot of Starcraft II now and although my system can handle a mixture of Medium/High/Ultra settings, i'd still like to eek out a few more fps, if it can be done cheaply.

So basically my point is this: i can't really afford a new Gfx card, and a whole system upgrade (Board, Gfx card, etc) is completely out of the question. But what about if i bought another Radeon 4850 512MB (as they're really cheap now) and ran it in crossfire with my other one. With my P35 board only having PCI-E 1.0 slots (one is x16, the other x4), do you think i would see a noticeable improvement to justify the £70-80 outlay? I know the crossfire setup will be held back by not being x16 x16, but given the low cost would it still be £70-80 well-spent?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated guys!

Hello and welcome to the forums
I wouldn't recommend doing that,because 16x4x CF will give you a performance hit compared to dual 8x/16x and isn't going to perform very well, so wait and get a more powerful VGA later(or a new motherboard)

TRENDING THREADS