Sign in with
Your question

New Build (gaming & G.Mod) Intel & nvidia sli +phyx no-overclocking

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2010 5:17:26 AM

The Question is what mobo would be good. I seen a lot of good reviews for the Gigabytes ud3r but I am liking the company reviews evga is getting. Their website is not the most informative though.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 4 weeks.

BUDGET RANGE: before rebates not unlimited but appropiate for an I7960 & gtx 480sli+phys-x build

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (CPU intensive games), modding, 3d modeling (down the road). my 360 is going bad so I'll be switching over my shooter to pc and would like to take advantage of the phy-x.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboards, mouse, speaker, (monitors maybe but that for another week to research)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg, microcenter, bestbuy (they had the cpu)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: I like intel and nvidia, I'm really leaning towards evga but not a fanboy yet.

OVERCLOCKING: No. I fried one $1500 comp by forcing a wire in backwards. (First time I've ever used a Fire extinguisher)

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, not at first I'll be peice mealing this build but the goal is 2sli+phy-x

MONITOR RESOLUTION: This will be researched another day.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Because of the no overclocking I heavily leaning towards the I7960(3.2) since I play cpu intense games. It's been 10 years since my last build and will probally be another 8 so.

Motherboards that is the question what will be good for an

Cpu I7960 3.2

Gpu GTX 480. One at first then a card for phy-x then at a later date a second Gpu for sli.

September 11, 2010 7:27:56 AM

CommStarr said:
OVERCLOCKING: No. I fried one $1500 comp by forcing a wire in backwards. (First time I've ever used a Fire extinguisher)

:??:  Why were you forcing a wire... :heink:  How do you force a wire in backwards? Overclocking is pretty safe, and a moderate overclock would save you a lot of money without exposing you to any significant risk of computer failure. Mounting your processor and HSF on the motherboard is really a riskier proposition in my opinion as long as you are reasonable.

As for the motherboards, if you aren't going to overclock, it doesn't make much of a difference. EVGA gets alot of praise for the lifetime warranty they put on their graphics cards, but the warranty is only 3 years on their motherboards (1 year if you forget to register). The feedback is pretty even on X58 motherboards by EVGA, Gigabyte, and ASUS. Just make sure that the one you get has two PCI-E slots that operate at x16, like the UD3R, so that SLI performance isn't degraded.
m
l
September 11, 2010 9:58:29 AM

wielander said:
:??:  Why were you forcing a wire... :heink:  How do you force a wire in backwards?

I was wondering the same thing.

Although I have pretty much standardized on Gigabyte motherboards, I have to admit that eVGA build quality is excellent. You do tend to pay for it though.

Overclocking is pretty safe nowadays. You do it through the BIOS. Although you can still screw up, it's pretty hard and the odds of needing a fire extinguisher - assuming that you have selected a good power supply - are vanishingly small.
m
l
!