Sign in with
Your question

Media Center PC

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2010 5:33:11 AM

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: this week (the closer the better))

BUDGET RANGE: As little as possible while still having a reliable machine.

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Media Center for watching TV, streaming videos, DVR etc...

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Monitor, Motherboard, CPU (linked below), optical drive, hard drive, O.S., RAM

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: None

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p 32" TV?

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I am looking for a case and a PSU that will work together with what I have. Linking parts below. I also have a Geforce 9800 GT if the motherboards on board video isnt good enough. I am mainly concerned with a power supply small enough to fit in a Media Center Case that has 24 and 8 pin supplies for the mother board.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Foxconn Cinema Premium AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD Phenom 9850 2.5GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 2MB L3 Cache Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (but not the OEM version have stock heatsink/fan)

More about : media center

September 11, 2010 9:24:27 PM

First, do NOT get a Phenom I processor. They were released before they were ready and are poor performers compared to Phenom II/Athlon II processors.

Second, I recommend you go with an Antec Earthwatts PSU. They are very efficient, quiet, and have the 8-pin EPS power connector you need.

Third, forget the video card unless you plan to game on this system. The onboard video will do everything you need and keep the power/heat/noise down to a minimum.
Related resources
September 11, 2010 9:47:47 PM

I am actually trying to refurbish an old hp that had a motherboard go bad is where the CPU is coming from. So the phenom I is used/free. There will be no gaming so I will probably just throw the 9800gt on craigslist to help pay for the case/psu.

September 11, 2010 10:03:44 PM

Free? Ok then. Didn't want you to waste any money on that part. You may still find it runs too hot for your application though. Keep an eye on the temps of that 9850.

The Silverstone case is a good one. Match it up with a Earthwatts 380W or 430W PSU and you should be good to go.
September 11, 2010 11:23:20 PM

I have an really like the Antec Fusion Black HTPC case. I get a lot of compliments on it.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
!