HDD Won't Show After Installing SSD

jbl772

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I have a Seagate 1TB HDD with Windows 7 Ultimate on it.

I installed a Samsung 840 120GB SSD, insert the Windows CD, formatted the HDD, and installed w7 on the SSD.

Now the HDD won't show up in Windows or Disk Management. It shows in the BIOS though. Anyone know how to fix this?

Solution
No. In disk management, you should see a drive, in the bottom pane, with "unallocated space". You HDD should be Disk 1. You might have to initialize the disk first by right clicking on it an going to initialize. Either way, you then can right click in the unallocated space are and "create new partition". Then you should be on your way.

boot off the windows installer cd. go into advance mode on it. look to see if there any partion on the hard drive. it may be that when windows did it install thing..it put the system restore partion on the 1tb drive and not the ssd. or it may blown the partion off the hard drive. if there no partion or if there is one delete the old partion..reboot and remake it and then format the drive. it should with a know good partion show up in windows disk management.

jbl772

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I deleted any partitions on the HDD. The only two options to install Windows on were the SSD and the HDD.

The HDD showed as Disk 0 Unallocated Space and the SSD showed as Disk 1 Unallocated Space

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Are you sure you are looking at the bottom window. Where the disks are shown with their partitions. All of you disks should be in that bottom pane, even your CD/DVD ROM drive. Scroll down to see if there are any disks without a partition. You have to initialize the disk first before you can make a partition on it.

jbl772

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
I'm sorry I'm confused.

I've never had more than 1 drive so I always deleted everything and left it as Disk 0 Unallocated Space - which had always worked for me.

Are you saying when I install Windows I need to create a partition for the secondary drive? (My HDD)

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
No. In disk management, you should see a drive, in the bottom pane, with "unallocated space". You HDD should be Disk 1. You might have to initialize the disk first by right clicking on it an going to initialize. Either way, you then can right click in the unallocated space are and "create new partition". Then you should be on your way.

Solution

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012
Here is a pic. Look in the area with the red box. Scroll down and you should see a Disk 1.

DiskM_zps1943063c.jpg

TRENDING THREADS