Sign in with
Your question

Is it possible to use a multi-bay case to build your own 4-5 disk USB

Last response: in Storage
December 21, 2012 4:27:08 AM

Per the title, I would like to build two 4-5 disk multi-terabyte attached systems so I can have one downstairs and one upstairs where they are attached to the systems and TVs in each level. NAS is not really an option since I am using wireless to one floor, and I like the redundancy of having a disk system on each floor in case of fire, flood, what have you. These will replace two 4 TB systems that I currently do this with. Buffalo offers a 16 TB option for about $1400, but I'd like to think I can do better. Can I?
December 21, 2012 8:33:59 AM

Ok I'm not really sure what you're asking here - could you perhaps bullet point the problem you want to solve, and then ask the question again? You ask about being able to 'do better' but I'm not sure what you mean.

It seems to me that you're looking for a DAS unit, which of course is quite simple - you can just buy a DAS shell/case, and load it with drives in whatever RAID or flat configuration you prefer.
December 21, 2012 12:33:48 PM

OK, let me attempt to be clearer then. Yes, I am trying to build a DAS, and I was wondering if I could do that in a similar fashion to a NAS - i.e. buy a 5-10 bay PC case, Motherboard, CPU and some memory, and then load my disks in and "somehow" connect it to my main unit? Or is there a third party DAS shell you can recommend? The 4-5 bay ones I've seen out there all seem to have reviews that are all over the place. When it comes to DAS, Buffalo has a good rep, but they seem to be charging quite a premium for 16TB. So am wondering if I can get something nearly as good for closer to $1K vs $1.5K.

Thanks,
Ewan
December 31, 2012 12:14:38 PM

So would one of the Sans Digital 5-bay solutions work? I was hoping there might be a "FreeDAS" similar to "FreeNAS", but don't seem to be finding anyone that could point me to such an item. It just seems like it "should" be possible to load up a minimal PC in a large case, and 6-8 drives, a RAID card, and a USB host card. But if so it doesn't appear that anyone is doing so.
!