Disaster! Coke damage! Need advice...

MAZWANTGUN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Ok, so some idiot has spilled coke on top of my case. Problem is, I have an Antec 902, and the coke has gone through the top fan grill. It landed on my HD 5850, and landed on my PSU's fan grill. At this stage the screen flicked off, and the computer turned off. I hastily opened up the computer, removed the GPU AND PSU, and dried the coke off with a hairdryer and some tissues. Thankfully the amount of coke wasn't that large.

I later put the parts back in and tried to run the computer. Surprisingly, it worked:). However, I am not sure about what to do next. Are my parts as good as new? Or will they blow up when I try to use my computer again? I am very confused. Any help and advice would really be appreciated. Also, I hope I've included everything I need to. If not, please ask. Thanks again.

EDIT: I mean Coca-Cola, NOT cocaine.

jsphdickens

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
I guess there isn't really a downside from continuing to use it-- If your hard drives weren't affected you would still be able to get to your data if one day it just stopped working. I recently did the exact same thing to a desktop pc with mesh like exterior. After a day of letting it dry out it would turn on, but would only stay on for an hour at most.

MAZWANTGUN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Try blowing the powder out with a hair dryer. Be careful your cat doesn't breathe any in.

Coke might make your cat freak out and run full speed into a door or something.
I actually meant Coca-Cola :sweat: ... I really have no idea if you are joking or not... But thanks anyway!

MAZWANTGUN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010

Was the amount of liquid large?

jsphdickens

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
It was probably just a few drops of Diet Pepsi. I had my computer under a table that had small gaps between wood boards. I knocked over my drink and my computer was off about half a second after I realized what had happened.

MAZWANTGUN

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Thanks a lot for all the responses guys. So basically I've pulled out my system from my case, cleaned it, and I've put everything back together. I will continue to use it, as it seems there is no downside.