VPN Connection lost when wireless accessed

hamhocs

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
Hi, newbie here...

My work laptop connects through Cisco VPN client. It is wired to a Belkin N+ Router (F5D8236-4). Whenever another computer connects through wireless, I lose this wired connection. I have another desktop wired to the same router, but it doesn't seem to be affected.

It first happened when my kids were watching videos on Youtube on the other computer. So I figured that the streaming data was killing it. But that is not the case. It happens whenever someone is just browsing or reading email. I did a hard reset on the router and put it back to factory settings. The router is only a few months old and since my desktop works fine, I don't think its defective. I also disconnected the desktop to see if that helped, but it didn't.

I am on Comcast and have great speeds but I don't know what is going on here. Any suggestions would be appreciated :)

digitalprospecter

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Just a thought. In your router, see if you can set the DHCP lease time as high as you can, or set your laptop to use a static IP address that is outside of the router's DHCP pool. The Cisco VPN Client may be interferring with the local DHCP lease renewal and other computers are grabbing your ip address.