Color in printing not same as on screen

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 4, 2005 12:12:06 AM

I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
Professional printing matches the screen.

Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that this is
a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't want to go
to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?

(P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows in
this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little CMS"
to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
similar here?)

Doug.
--
ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
In today's brief course

More about : color printing screen

January 4, 2005 12:12:07 AM

Doug Laidlaw wrote:
> I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
> PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
> digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
> Professional printing matches the screen.
>
> Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that this is
> a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't want to go
> to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?
>
> (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows in
> this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little CMS"
> to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
> similar here?)
>
> Doug.
The Gimp

http://www.gimp.org/

is in the opinion of many better than Photoshop. However, Photoshop has
been around a long time and as such has a lot of professional users. Had
they both been released at the same time, it is arguable if Photoshop
would have the lead it does professionally.

The Gimp is free, but like any complex software product (Photoshop for
example) using its full capabilities is far from trivual. There are
companies giving professional support for the program.

The Gimp runs on Windows, Linux, or just about any other system. (I use
it on a Sun workstation). For 99% of users, you will just download the
binary (i.e. executable) programs. Forget about the source code - you
don't need it unless you want to modify the program.

*FIRST* you need to download and install the GTK+2 runtime enviroment
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gtk%2B-2.4....

Then the main program must be installed after GTK+2 enviromemnt
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.2.0-...
Anonymous
January 4, 2005 12:12:07 AM

"Doug Laidlaw" <laidlaws@myaccess.com.au> wrote in message
>I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
> PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
> digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
> Professional printing matches the screen.
>
> Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that this
> is
> a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't want to go
> to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?
>
> (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows in
> this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little
> CMS"
> to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
> similar here?)
>
> Doug.
> --
> ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
> In today's brief course
> Lie all the verities and realities of your existence.

It has less to do with your software and likely more to do with calibrating
the printer & monitor. I've never tried these products, but there are
devices that will help calibrate your system so your prints match the
screen:

http://www.colorvision.com/products.shtml

They've generally gotten good comments from users on dpreview.com.

Mark
January 4, 2005 12:12:08 AM

Also make sure that the color cartriges are not outdated (expired). I
know that HP printers cartridges are very sensitive to expiration dates.

In article <-b2dnbZlzMViGkTcRVn-oQ@comcast.com>,
Mark B. <mbohntrash54@comcast.net> wrote:
>"Doug Laidlaw" <laidlaws@myaccess.com.au> wrote in message
>>I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
>> PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
>> digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
>> Professional printing matches the screen.
>>
>> Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that this
>> is
>> a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't want to go
>> to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?
>>
>> (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows in
>> this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little
>> CMS"
>> to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
>> similar here?)
>>
>> Doug.
>> --
>> ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
>> In today's brief course
>> Lie all the verities and realities of your existence.
>>

>It has less to do with your software and likely more to do with calibrating
>the printer & monitor. I've never tried these products, but there are
>devices that will help calibrate your system so your prints match the
>screen:
>
>http://www.colorvision.com/products.shtml
>
>They've generally gotten good comments from users on dpreview.com.
>

>Mark

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 1:49:23 PM

Hi Doug,

I have posted a few times on this but let me note that the use of EasyShare
should help with your situation. Look for your printer scanner combination
on the Kodak site

http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet

The left side of the page should offer an option for printer settings. Go
there and find your combination.

Good luck, let me know if you have questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

"Doug Laidlaw" <laidlaws@myaccess.com.au> wrote in message
> I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
> PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
> digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
> Professional printing matches the screen.
>
> Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that this
is
> a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't want to go
> to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?
>
> (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows in
> this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little
CMS"
> to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
> similar here?)
>
> Doug.
> --
> ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
> In today's brief course
> Lie all the verities and realities of your existence.

Anonymous
January 4, 2005 3:43:59 PM

Dave wrote:

> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>> I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
>> PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
>> digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
>> Professional printing matches the screen.
>>
>> Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that this
>> is a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't want
>> to go
>> to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?
>>
>> (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows in
>> this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little
>> CMS"
>> to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
>> similar here?)
>>
>> Doug.
> The Gimp
>
> http://www.gimp.org/
>
> is in the opinion of many better than Photoshop. However, Photoshop has
> been around a long time and as such has a lot of professional users. Had
> they both been released at the same time, it is arguable if Photoshop
> would have the lead it does professionally.
>
> The Gimp is free, but like any complex software product (Photoshop for
> example) using its full capabilities is far from trivual. There are
> companies giving professional support for the program.
>
> The Gimp runs on Windows, Linux, or just about any other system. (I use
> it on a Sun workstation). For 99% of users, you will just download the
> binary (i.e. executable) programs. Forget about the source code - you
> don't need it unless you want to modify the program.
>
> *FIRST* you need to download and install the GTK+2 runtime enviroment

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gtk%2B-2.4....

> Then the main program must be installed after GTK+2 enviromemnt

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.2.0-...

Yes, I have the Gimp 2.05 installed (it is a standard package with Mandrake
10.1), and i used to have it running under Windows. I noticed that 2.2 was
out, but there are advantages in sticking with the Mandrake RPMs. I think
that if I am going to use it, I would do it under Linux. The Windows port
is a bit confusing. The only problem I have had with the Gimp under Linux
is when it comes to printing - there seems to be a lot of RAM used even
with 256K, but reasonable-sized JPEGs seem to be O.K. LittleCMS was for
Scribus.

I haven't really compared results, but there are 2 photos I can think of for
comparison.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Doug.
--
ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
The place to improve the world is first in one's own heart and head and

Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> Dave wrote:
>
>> Doug Laidlaw wrote:
>>> I am using ab Epson all-in-one (scanner,copier, printer) with ArcSoft
>>> PhotoImpression 4 supplied for photo editing. Prints from my Kodak 7330
>>> digital camera print with nmore red tones than appear on the screen.
>>> Professional printing matches the screen.
>>>
>>> Is this a limitation of my equipment or software? I appreciate that
>>> this is a bottom-of-the range setup, but i am only a hobbyist and don't
>>> want to go
>>> to the expense of PhotoShop. Is there a reasonably-priced alternative?
>>>
>>> (P.S.: Although I am a Linux uzser, I am more comfortable with Windows
>>> in
>>> this area. My Linux DTP packge uses a color management system "Little
>>> CMS"
>>> to deal with the differences between RGB and CMYK. Do I need something
>>> similar here?)
>>>
>>> Doug.
>> The Gimp
>>
>> http://www.gimp.org/
>>
>> is in the opinion of many better than Photoshop. However, Photoshop has
>> been around a long time and as such has a lot of professional users. Had
>> they both been released at the same time, it is arguable if Photoshop
>> would have the lead it does professionally.
>>
>> The Gimp is free, but like any complex software product (Photoshop for
>> example) using its full capabilities is far from trivual. There are
>> companies giving professional support for the program.
>>
>> The Gimp runs on Windows, Linux, or just about any other system. (I use
>> it on a Sun workstation). For 99% of users, you will just download the
>> binary (i.e. executable) programs. Forget about the source code - you
>> don't need it unless you want to modify the program.
>>
>> *FIRST* you need to download and install the GTK+2 runtime enviroment

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gtk%2B-2.4....

>> Then the main program must be installed after GTK+2 enviromemnt

http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/gimp-win/gimp-2.2.0-...

> Yes, I have the Gimp 2.05 installed (it is a standard package with
> Mandrake
> 10.1), and i used to have it running under Windows. I noticed that 2.2
> was
> out, but there are advantages in sticking with the Mandrake RPMs. I think
> that if I am going to use it, I would do it under Linux. The Windows port
> is a bit confusing. The only problem I have had with the Gimp under Linux
> is when it comes to printing - there seems to be a lot of RAM used even
> with 256K, but reasonable-sized JPEGs seem to be O.K. LittleCMS was for
> Scribus.
>
> I haven't really compared results, but there are 2 photos I can think of
> for comparison.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.
>
> Doug.
Well, the Gimp prints in true colors, but the screen has moved towards
green. Sounds as though I need to make the two agree. The stuff at
http://www.colorvision.com/products.shtml looks interesting.

Doug.
--
ICQ Number 178748389. Registered Linux User No. 277548.
It's not whether you win or lose. It's where you place the blame.