Your question

Prime95 stress test on i7 950 temps ok?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Stress Test
  • Intel i7
Last response: in CPUs
December 3, 2010 3:54:40 PM

Ok i did a stress test on my system. Keep in mind that I am running the stock cooler but do these temps look decent atleast? Im pretty sure I'll need to buy a new CPU Fan for the summer but im hoping that this is fine for the winter atleast. I ran it for like 4 mins(temps leveled off) I got tired of waiting lol.

http://i54.tinypic.com/11wa93n.jpg Running kind of hot isnt it? It's only 65-70F in my house right now.

Here are my idle speeds. Kind of a big jump if you ask me. http://i51.tinypic.com/29xalw7.jpg

Im not going to be overclocking in anyway so I was hoping that the intel heatsink would be enough but I don't think it's looking like that. However when will my CPU really be at 100% for 4 mins or more? Man i don't want to get a new heatsink. So many wires and bolts to undue lol :( 

More about : prime95 stress test 950 temps

a c 160 à CPUs
December 3, 2010 4:22:25 PM

Your temps are excellent for the stock cooler. You can run at these temps without changing your cooler as long as you're not overclocking. Monitor your temps in the warm months and see if they rise much. My i7 got up to 90c but still ran stable. Those 1366 cpus run warmer than other Intel cpus.
m
l
December 3, 2010 4:26:35 PM

ok cool thx. Thats what i was thinking that the cooler is kicking ass. I do however live in the desert but my house never gets over 75-80 degrees. I ran the test for 4 mins only but It was going any higher so I just stopped it. The temps were going up and down 1c so im pretty sure it leveled off. But i mean whenever are you going to have all cores at 100% unless a program glitches on you. Cool Im glad to hear. I should try to just finish the test just to make sure but Im not sure how long it will take.

I just did another stress test and got this. It ran at these temps for 2 tests straight http://i52.tinypic.com/k2pdt.jpg Maybe I'll be ok with this stock cooler
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2010 7:19:28 PM

o1die said:
Your temps are excellent for the stock cooler. You can run at these temps without changing your cooler as long as you're not overclocking. Monitor your temps in the warm months and see if they rise much. My i7 got up to 90c but still ran stable. Those 1366 cpus run warmer than other Intel cpus.

90C is a bit too hot - it'll work, but it can significantly reduce the CPU's lifetime. In general, I'd keep an i5/i7 at 75C or below, although 80C shouldn't be too bad.
m
l
December 3, 2010 8:24:41 PM

Ok so for me hitting 78c I should be fine right? I'm not going to be doing a 100% cycle on the cores for as long as I tested anyways right? Im thinking my temps are good. If it was 90c then i would be really worried.
m
l
December 3, 2010 8:33:47 PM

:|
I would never let my i5 750 @ 3.6ghz reach 59+.
Under load it is about 53.
78 IS HIGH AS HELL.
Get an aftermarket cooler or buy an other i7 950 to make sure if the one you got there burns, you can replace it asap.
Honestly 90 is ridiculous.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2010 7:45:24 AM

abswindows7 said:
:|
I would never let my i5 750 @ 3.6ghz reach 59+.
Under load it is about 53.
78 IS HIGH AS HELL.
Get an aftermarket cooler or buy an other i7 950 to make sure if the one you got there burns, you can replace it asap.
Honestly 90 is ridiculous.

78 is warm, but I wouldn't say it's hot as hell. It's about what the higher end CPUs are expected to run with the factory cooler, and it shouldn't seriously affect the CPU's lifetime.

(90 is definitely ridiculous though)
m
l
a c 160 à CPUs
December 4, 2010 10:07:55 AM

I just tested mine for a minute or so before selling it. 90c for a few seconds won't hurt it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2010 2:04:48 PM

Mid 70's is fine for stress testing/benching, that means you'll most likely be under 70c for everything else your going to do.

What do you have for a case, and does the heatsink feel warm or hot to the touch while your showing 78c? Most common temperature issue with Intel chips is improper heatsink/TIM installation.
m
l
December 6, 2010 6:50:30 AM

I got the CoolerMaster HAF 932 case. I haven't touched the heatsink honestly when benchmarking. I just monitored the temps from the application
m
l