Sign in with
Your question

Pc shutting down when room gets cold

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2010 2:45:31 PM

Hello, i've been having this issue with my pc for the past (almost) year.

When the room gets cold(i would guess around 20C or lower) my pc shuts down when i am doing anything that puts some kind of load on the cpu (playing flash games or anything else more demanding than that).It doesn't immediately shut down.Some random time passes, between 5-30mins and then it shuts down as if i have pulled it out of the plug. I get no issues when playing a 1080p video in vlc or any other media player, so i think it's not the graphics card fault.Also, there has been no issue when working on the pc while the room had a temperature above 30C

Once i power it up again, there are no problems until i get past the windows logo, after that my desktop either shows up normally or my pc shuts down again.I've tried to find a pattern but there doesn't seem to be any.Generally, if i keep doing something demanding after it was shut down and the room is still cold it will shut down again, if that happens 2-3 times then i can't get to my desktop at all and it keeps shutting down and i have to leave my pc for some mins. I find it weird that the problem only happens in the OS environment and not before that.Reinstalling windows didn't help.

It clearly has to do something with the temperature but i don't know what.I tried to get the temperatures for my cpu/mobo etc from coretemp and the bios but the numbers aren't logical(115+ C for all cpu cores even when powering on the pc after leaving it to cool down.The air coming from the cpu fan is also cool, not indicating anything above 50-60) Maybe this has something to do with the problem?

I live in a fairly warm country (greece) so generally i don't encounter this problem a lot, but today, it started getting colder so this issue came up again and it's very annoying.

I was thinking of replacing the psu, since that would cause problems that would make the pc shut down, but it only happens when the room is cold, which seems weird to me. Besides, i have no spare psu so i would rather avoid that if i could find the problem in any other way.

Sorry for my english

PC specs:
Motherboard: Asus Striker Extreme
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600
The PSU is I think a thermaltake 650W.I can't find any papers and there's no more info on the psu itself. It's running 5HD's and a 8800gt. It wasn't the cheapest model when i bought it almost 3 years ago, i think it costed me more than 100 euro.

More about : shutting room cold

a c 103 B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2010 3:17:10 PM

Unusual! usually it is the other way around heat would have that effect. The cpu temp at 115°C is though a indication of a faulty thermal sensor that could be causing this.
m
l
September 11, 2010 3:25:25 PM

Yeah, i think the thermal sensor has been having issues.. Could a wrong signal from one of those sensors maybe shut down the pc? The PC is on a 1.5year old APC RS 1000 so no power outages or spikes could have affected the motherboard
m
l
Related resources
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2010 3:38:45 PM

If the CPU gets to hot or reports to hot the system should shut down to protect it.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2010 3:52:19 PM

Check the temperature in BIOS to rule out a software glitch. If BIOS is believing that your CPU temp is 115C then you have a bad thermal sensor somewhere and will probably have to replace either the CPU or motherboard. The thermal sensors are the only way that the system knows what temp the CPU is at so if the sensor says the CPU is 115C the system believes it and shuts down.
m
l
September 11, 2010 3:58:33 PM

I thought it would first throttle the cpu.My cpu keeps working on a x9 multiplier though.This problem seems very strange.
Thanks for ur replies
m
l
September 11, 2010 4:00:47 PM

@hunter: The system works with those temperatures every day 24/7.Currently it says 95C, which i can hardly believe when putting my hand on the cpu cooling system or when feeling the air that comes off from the cpu fan.
It only shuts down when the room gets cold
m
l
December 8, 2010 2:45:51 PM

As weird as this may sound, i found a way it got fixed after months (maybe just temporarily).. I've got 5 hdd's installed so there are a lot of cables going around.. Today i took them all out and put them one by one back in.. Now everything's back to normal.. Temps, voltage, everything.. I guess there must have been some kind of short circuit problem
m
l
!