Sign in with
Your question

Best intel 775 mobo i can get for taking q9550 back to life?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 31, 2011 11:29:56 AM

Hey, this system i want to revive has been dead since jan 2011, all of a sudden, when i turned it on, all fans were 100% but no video signal nor post.
Tried evrything, takin out ram stick, video card... no beep beep.. so i just left it as i had another system with amd 955BE..

Hopefully the mobo is busted, and my q9550 lives. I've controlled its temps ever since i got it n they never went over 59º under load, i've been using an asetek liquid cooler, replaced with a corsair h50 and i've never overclocked this cpu.

I've been looking around n this is the best intel 755 i was able to find thesedays:
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

I'd also like to replace my memory, as i was using 8gb ddr2-800 n i was never satisfied with the performance

So any recomendations for mobo n memory for this system?
I'll use them along an evga gtx470 and 750w psu

PS: the old mobo was a no-branded nvidia 780i SLI

Thanks
July 31, 2011 12:52:54 PM

I hope you tried removing the mobo battery and clearing the bios before pronouncing it dead.
July 31, 2011 1:10:47 PM

Yeah i even tried using a new battery, and clearin the cmos.
Also i hav to add that just after 10 mins of use in the morning, some bridge heated up to 80ºC
Related resources
July 31, 2011 1:20:18 PM

And went down to the bare minimum... One stick of ram, and in different slots, no dvd, etc. Also is it possible you psu is under powering your gtx470? Can you try another one from a different build.

Anyway, if all has failed what's your budget for the new parts?
July 31, 2011 1:52:04 PM

I tried everything, one slot, each stick of the 4 running single, didn't get beep when gpu or ram missing... I also placed the case over a cardboard just incase there was any grounding problem, disconnected devices.. etc

Oh and this is something interesting, initially i ran a 9800gtx sli system, back in august last year some fan was always 100% so i replaced the cpu cooling, but afterwards i realised that it was one of the 9800gtx fan stuck at 100%, i use evga precision n i have a custom fan speed setting, and one day it came back to normal automaticly, but some days later that gpu died, so i ran single 9800gtx and then this one died too O.o well sounds like a horror movie :\

Don't know how that happened, in summer running demanding games, gpu1 was at like 76ºC underload and i just quit playing if they were over 80ºC which is normal too.

So regarding the psu underpowering the gtx470, probably not if as i had run stable an sli system for 3 years, and the gtx470 ran perfectly during the 2 weeks the pc lasted alive..

Sorry for all that writing aha, i will take the cpu to a local store for proving that it's alive and about my budget, i'll try to expend as little as possible, a good lga 775 with ddr3 support, 4gb ddr3 1333 i reckon around 120 euros? yah
July 31, 2011 2:10:17 PM

Just a thought... You have to buy a mother board and ram, why not sell the chip and go for a full upgrade? My thinking is for a little more you'll have all current generation tech, rather than spending upwards of 130-150 on old stuff. If not I'll see if I can find a good 775 board, but a lot of them have been discontinued.
July 31, 2011 2:45:11 PM

I was tempted to get an i7 2600k and intel 1155 but considering that i'll need new memory + the cost of the set which is pretty affordable for the quality but it's not cheap + a new case as this one is a fancy piece of junk... it quite goes over my budget so it'd be better to have in use this q9550 and gtx470 i have as i wouldn't get much profit trading a q9550, mobo (incase it's alive) and the other stuff...

So it'd be more viable to get new mobo/psu or whatever is broken.
The best i could find in stock was this
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/p [...] id=3225#ov

As u said most of them have been discontinued, i was looking for an xfx 750 one but this is the best i found, and it's only 66 euros, considering that theres not big difference between ddr2 n ddr3, wat do u recommend?
July 31, 2011 3:43:23 PM

For around the same money go for the ddr3, that link doesn't work. Leave a link to the store your going to be buying from and I'll give you my opinion on a board/ram.
August 1, 2011 4:56:38 PM

ima take the cpu to a local store for havin it tested n the least i can do is to purchase the mobo from them. They've shown me some 50 euros asrock socket 775 with ddr3 1333 mhz support. Should i "risk" myself n get it or should i wait a bit more n tell them to bring a more specific model, either asus/gigabyte/msi ?
August 1, 2011 6:06:46 PM

Asrock isn't bad depending but Asus /Gigabyte is probably better. I guess it depends on the difference in price and if you can wait.
!