Processor:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 930 @ 2.80GHz (8 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory:
6144MB RAM
Hard Drive:
249 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

My computer was working fine for about a week, PERFECT, not one freeze or nothing. Last night, i replaced my heat sink. I guess i didn't put enough thermal paste, but it shot up to 85c Idle. I quickly turned the power off and took of the existing thermal compound and replaced it with some Silver 5 or w/e. Now im running at 28c! So thats good. But now if im playing something, our looking at youtube, my computer seems to lock up and not do anything, than i have to power it off.

I was reading here it could be a Aluminum Migration & ESD or a hardware malfunction. Or it could just simply be something else.

I don't think its neither of this, i wore a anti-static wrist wrap, and i didn't mess with any of the components.

Thanks for any help you are willing to give me

-Patrick.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2010 4:35:54 PM

When it freezes does it come with looping sound? That is often associated with memory issues. Did you manually set your memory timings and voltages?

I doubt its Aluminum migration or ESD, if everything was in the case you would have a hard time damaging anything with ESD.
m
l
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2010 6:06:05 PM

No sound at all, just freezes and doesn't do anything or make a sound.

I get regular boot up sounds when rebooting.

Thanks for your reply.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2010 6:09:01 PM

hunter315 said:
When it freezes does it come with looping sound? That is often associated with memory issues. Did you manually set your memory timings and voltages?

And no i didn't manually set my memory timings and voltages
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 12, 2010 1:05:19 AM

Go set your memory timings and voltage manually, many kits wont function right at only 1.5V and need 1.65V to not have errors.
m
l
!