Upgrading Dell Optiplex GX280 motherboard

gwyddn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Can I put a non-Dell motherboard in my Dell Optiplex GX280 slim desktop case? I understand it takes a microATX, will the case connectors fit a non-Dell motherboard - like for the power switch, HDD lights, etc? And is the rear panel standard for a microATX?

There are lots of these cheap computers out there on craigslist and at goodwill and with their sff cases I thought it might make a cheap htpc.

Thank you, Jay

Solution
Ahead of you on this one, gwyddn. The motherboard in the Optiplex is custom - the standoffs are not standard. The power supply (at least in the one I have) not only is complete crap, it is non-standard in size. this would be very hard to work with and not worth the trouble. I got mine for free, upgraded it with memory from another machine and added an AGP graphics card for $15. It does fine for DDO.

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
Ahead of you on this one, gwyddn. The motherboard in the Optiplex is custom - the standoffs are not standard. The power supply (at least in the one I have) not only is complete crap, it is non-standard in size. this would be very hard to work with and not worth the trouble. I got mine for free, upgraded it with memory from another machine and added an AGP graphics card for $15. It does fine for DDO.

Solution

gwyddn

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009

Thanks Eloric,
I'm officially scrapping that idea! Thanks for saving me the $$ and the headaches of having tried and failed.
-Gwyddn